Sublime Forum

What version of ST is this?

What I think I bought a long time ago was ST2 but I can’t recall if I upgraded to ST3 in the years that followed.

0 Likes

Says it right there on the screen after Channel. Protip: click on the news tab in the sublimetext website navbar for more info.

0 Likes

From your answer, I’m guessing that Build 4107 means Sublime Text 4? How am I supposed to know ST4 if my dialog box doesn’t say ST4?

1 Like

It’s pretty clear to me. I click Changelog or About in the Help menu and it tells me.

0 Likes

Okay, yes, it’s clear in Changelog, but it’s not clear in About, and I am accustomed to finding version info in About rather than a menu item called Changelog. It’s not clear to me why the version number is explicitly not present in About. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

There’s not a version number in the dialog box because Sublime no longer has version numbers associated with it. The fact that we’re all referring to it as Sublime Text 4 is so that it’s clear whether you’re talking about the older version or the new one (which is also why you will often see the 4 crossed out.

Lack of major version numbers and the new license plan of updated for 3 years not tied to a version means that the developers can pump out a constant stream of regular updates without trying to save up enough big changes to warrant charging a fee to bump the version number.

0 Likes

Thank you for this explanation, which does sort of make sense to me. So there are no more version numbers except when people are using version numbers. :laughing: I’m not sure it’s needed, but a link in About such as [About version numbers] to this kind of detail would have made me feel a lot less frustrated. From now on I’ll mentally put Sublime Text alongside other things that avoid version numbers like Mac hardware: “November 2020 MacBook Air.”

1 Like