Sublime Forum

What is Sublimes statement to the new australian Law?

We really like Sublime Text. But as a large privacy oriented company we simply cant put our users in danger by using software that might be compromised with a backdoor if the new law gets passed. So we think for the first time about to not renew our licenses. What are the solutions that Sublime HQ Pty Ltd has to offer ?

1 Like

what new law?

0 Likes

I don’t work for Sublime, I’m not a lawyer, and I’m not a computer security expert. Take everything in this comment with a grain of salt.

It’s not clear to me how the new Australian law would apply to Sublime in the first place. Sublime is not a communications provider, a web application, or a cloud storage system. Sublime HQ collects basic licensing and telemetry information. This information is not sensitive, and it’s the sort of information that law enforcement could get with a warrant anyway. If you’re concerned that the Australian government might force Sublime HQ to put some kind of unrelated backdoor onto your computer, then that would seem to fall well outside the scope of the law.

I assume that Sublime HQ doesn’t have a legal department, and even if they did I doubt they’d be able to give a firm answer about a brand-new law that’s never been litigated. Probably all any company could tell you is “that’s not how we think the law works”, with the caveat that if the government said that it was then the company couldn’t tell you about it anyway. So I’m not sure what you’re really looking for.

0 Likes