Sublime Forum

What are the breaking changes in ST4's API?

For years (since ST2) I’ve used a plugin that I developed myself and after the upgrade to ST4, invoking it just hangs indefinitely, without even a message in the Console - my only recourse is to kill the ST process. Is there some documentation on the breaking changes from ST3 to ST4’s Python API? I checked the porting guide, but it only mentions some differences between ST2 and ST3, not ST4. Of course, it could also be in the change from Python 3.3 to 3.8, rather than ST’s API, but I’d like to have an idea of where to start before resorting to just sprinkling message_dialog around my code.

0 Likes

Do you have a link to your repo? Maybe other people can look at it as well.

0 Likes

There’s no repo, but the code is just a few dozen lines and it can be downloaded off my website on the corresponding page. There’s two different versions with only minor differences in the code. Both exhibit the same freezing behaviour.

0 Likes

Hm. Was curious enough to look at your page. But you have a print something in there, t.i. without the parentheses, and that’s a syntax error. You probably using something differnet now.

0 Likes

Ah yes, that is some old debugging code from the ST2 versions left over in the uploaded scripts. Removing that doesn’t make a difference though, and my locally installed versions didn’t have that line - which was also the only difference with the files on my site.

0 Likes

Well, then it just works on my ST. You can imagine that it will look like hanging for large files as it “parses” the file char by char but it’s your script so you know that already.

1 Like

My test file is simply “foo” with the quotes and it hangs on that :frowning:

0 Likes

Good test! It hangs for “foo” for me too. Just crashing right now.

1 Like

Oh wow. It seems it crashes if the first character in the file is a quote. I must have never tested that case until when I was convincing a friend to use ST and was demoing some of its features to him. At least that means it’s not ST4 specific and I know where to look now.

0 Likes

Good we figured that! Send the fixed script back.

0 Likes