Sublime Forum

Weird yellow graphical issues on macOS

My copy of sublime (when not in the foreground) recently started doing something like this where the entire window turns yellow. As soon as I bring focus back to the window it all disappears, but I’ve been using sublime for years, and never seen anything like this before.

Here’s a got a screenshot. of it behind the top of the mail window.

Sublime Dev Channel - 3142
macOS - 10.12.5 (16F73)

0 Likes

All Sublime windows become yellow [Bug]

It almost looks like some of the highlighting features that Quartz Debug provide for checking application drawing events.

Does it happen if you use the Default theme? Also, does it occur if you set the gpu_window_buffer setting to false and restart Sublime Text?

0 Likes

Pleased to know this wasn’t just on my end, I had all but assumed until now this was a sign my graphics card was beginning to fail.

0 Likes

Did any of the suggestions I gave make a difference?

0 Likes

Not OP, but here’s my findings. Please let me know if you need anything else.

1. After some testing, this doesn’t seem to happen with the Default theme, I can only get it to happen with the other theme, Adaptive.
  2. Setting gpu_window_buffer to false indeed seems to prevent the issue.

For your reference, here’s the most reliable way of testing this issue that I’ve found thusfar:

With a 2016 MacBook Pro, 10.12.6 and Build 3142 with gpu_window_buffer set to auto and the Adaptive theme selected.

1. Ensure Sublime Text is fully quit and your external monitor is plugged in (dual, not mirrored). Open up some app on the external monitor. For my testing, I used Safari.
  2. Focus back to the MacBook screen and open up Sublime Text.
  3. Now, focus back to Safari on the the external monitor
  4. Unplug the display cable (for me, the mini DisplayPort)
  5. Observe Sublime Text flash to yellow until the window is brought back to focus.
0 Likes

It sounds as if there is a condition under which we need to flush the OpenGL buffer to the screen, or something along those lines. I’ll see if I can reproduce. I have an almost identical setup except I am running a 2013 Macbook Pro.

0 Likes

@wbond I’ve been running with gpu_window_buffer: false for the last few hours at work, I have not seen the yellow flash since I changed that setting.

I am still using the Adaptive theme though.

Edit: Oh, interesting that @GameGenie710 is seeing also on one of the new macs… I am on a 2016 macbook pro with touchbar.

0 Likes

Just reporting that I can reliably reproduce this bug when I run any of the GLFW examples:

$ brew install cmake
$ brew install ninja
$ git clone https://github.com/glfw/glfw.git
$ cd glfw
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake .. -G Ninja
$ ninja
$ open examples/boing.app

Make sure ST is in the background, and click on the red close button of the “boing” app. The yellow background should appear. MacOS 10.12.

0 Likes

I can confirm the same bug using the Material Theme with Sublime 3.0 (Build 3143) and macOS 10.12.6.

0 Likes

it seems to happen when i connect or disconnect my 2017 macbook pro to external monitor. this never happend on my 2013 macbook pro though . is there a fix for this ?

0 Likes

Also confirming that this is occurring using the Adaptive Theme.
Sublime Text (Build 3154) and macOS 10.12.6 on MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

0 Likes