Sublime Forum

Warning! Codex SFTP not working! No support! Sublime Staff WAKE UP!

I can only say that I do consider that ST is too community-driven these days. Though I know there are only few people work for SublimeHQ.

1 Like

At least we agree on 1 thing! That’s exactly what I mean!

0 Likes

So not take it down, but sanction them if they don’t keep up with their promises

How do you suggest to do that?

0 Likes

It is true that my support responsiveness has gone downhill over time. I wrote that verbiage when SFTP was my sole source of incoming while working independently.

I should be having a new version of SFTP out sometime in the next month or so, providing compatibility with the newest version of OpenSSH.

But yea, if you have a critical need for SFTP behavior, I highly recommend running the trial version before buying.

2 Likes

@wbond Hi Will,

I’m surprised at your indifferent and impersonal attitude.

I have been a paying user of SFTP since day one over 10 years ago and also have the last license from a year ago. So watching the demo first doesn’t make any sense!

You only talk about yourself, but you don’t care about what your users experience with your plugin every day. This problem has been going on for much longer. And has cost me excessive time! All this clearly illustrates the corporate culture of Sublime Text and relatives and I predict that in 5 years Sublime Text will no longer exist!

My company is going to stop the subscription for Sublime Text and sadly switch over to VS code that we have installed anyway for in case there was or is a problem with Sublime Text…

I have learned one thing and that is that Sublime Text company and relatives have no clue how to run a business based on: respect, trust, reliability and continuity!

It’s the first time you appear on this forum after one year and did not have the time to post a message (that takes 5 minutes!!) for all the users that contacted your support multiple times for nothing and paid for a license!??

David

0 Likes

Based on your expectations with the ST ecosystem, this is probably not a tool you should be relying on. It’s support infrastructure is based on volunteers. I think you should investigate other tools. Other products with larger support staffs have [forum admins don’t want me specifying a specific product and see that as spam] a very robust and responsive support staff and would probably fit your expectations for quality of plugins and support.

You mentioned you’ve been using ST for over 10 years yet you haven’t contributed to the community only complained. Perhaps other tools are a better fit for you. Good luck.

0 Likes

@mvilain Hi Michel,

Don’t understand what you are talking about, but Sublime Text and the SFTP plugin are two commercial products that you pay for and have nothing to do with any community.

So or come with some intelligent useful tips or stay away from this forum pissing people off!

When developers ask users to pay for a licence those users can expect support and maintenance of the products they pay for.

You good luck!

David

0 Likes

You expect ST to support the SFTP plugin they didn’t write. You expect ST to support their product with non-volunteer help which they currently don’t have the manpower to do. I suspect other products are a better fit for your expectations rather than the 10 years you’ve been using ST and been unhappy with it. Maybe it’s time to look elsewhere for a product supported the way you expect. But first, open your wallet.

0 Likes

You don’t have to tell me what I have to do! Who do you think you are? “The Forum Police”?

When you really read my post you can see that I talked about the Packages Eco System and the quality of the Packages concerning Sublime Text. That by the way I always paid for and donated.

I paid for everything (Sublime Text company license yearly payment + license SFTP) so I don’t understand that I have to open my wallet!?

Please piss somebody else off!

0 Likes

Hi Will. Thanks for replying! It’s nice to know your still around :slight_smile:

(Eagerly awaiting a new version.)

0 Likes

As primarily a web app developer who actually just recently switched away from VS Code to Sublime, I don’t think that’s fair. :slight_smile:

In all sincerity, I’ve only been browsing this forum for a week or so and am disheartened by some of the rage-y posts like this about seemingly small bugaboos.

I know it’s frustrating that the external plugins may not be what you expect; but I’d argue that you shouldn’t blame Sublime for that. If anything, I’m grateful that Sublime, unlike VS Code, doesn’t rely on plugins in order to make it remotely functional (if you haven’t tried looking under the hood at all of the builtin extensions that allow VS Code to do literally anything, try turning them off and see if it’s still as useful as Sublime out of the box.)

And speaking of VS Code plugins, it can be awfully hard to find reliable ones amid the plethora of poorly maintained, duplicate, or just plain sketchy plugins that make up the vast majority of their ecosystem. Honestly, if you’re looking for anything that isn’t maintained by Microsoft or GitHub directly, I don’t think it’s any better or worse than the selections I’ve seen in Package Control. :man_shrugging:

Anywho, I’m not trying to dump all over you or VS Code. I mostly just want to say that it’s ok if a tool isn’t meeting your needs – that’s why there are IDEs in the world. But please don’t assume that all of us other web devs aren’t happy with Sublime.

I don’t know about y’all, but the reason I bought a license is because the editor is great to use for writing code (I’m pretty smitten with Sublime Merge too, but that’s off topic.). Plugins are just a bonus in my book.

(Oh and while I’m here, seriously, just a huge thanks to the Sublime devs – I don’t know how you all stay motivated reading some of these posts, so I wanted to send some kudos your way.)

4 Likes

@t-bowersox Hi,

So you find it normal that I purchase a license for the Sublime Text SFTP package (created by Will Bond one of the main developers who created/contributed to Sublime 3 & 4!) you understand the connection between Sublime text and Codex the company of Will Bond now!? with his motto:

Spend less time managing file transfers and more time coding. FTP, FTPS and SFTP support for Sublime Text that is blazing fast, with smart features, flexible workflow options and top-notch support

And for months no replies to any support requests, no email warning no post on this forum nothing. And a important part to connect with SFTP has to be updated by him so it is not working for now.

We are not talking about Open Source here, but a commercial product that we all paid for the license from day one!

A text/code editor is only as good as it’s plugin/packages eco system and packages are no extra bonus as you were saying, but a essential part of everybody’s workflow!

David

1 Like

So you find it normal that I purchase a license for the Sublime Text SFTP package (created by Will Bond one of the main developers who created/contributed to Sublime 3 & 4!) you understand the connection between Sublime text and Codex the company of Will Bond now!?

While Will Bond did used to work for Sublime HQ there is no business relation between us and Codex. To my knowledge Codex also predates Will’s employment.

0 Likes

@bschaaf
Hi Benjamin,

That’s not the point!

Sublime Staff should keep an eye on their packages-ecosystem and when packages are put on the market commercially with a license and set minimum requirements for the developers.
I think at least there is the connection that they know each other very well and know of the status of each other companies.

David

Read these topics this problem is here for more then a year!

0 Likes

Right, that is a thing we already do. I read that forum post when it was first posted.

It’s a closed source plugin made by a 3rd party in their spare time. It comes back to my question earlier:

0 Likes

@bschaaf

Yes I can see the problem, but at least developers could get some kind of “Sublime Text Approved” label and reviews are still not in Package Control or the Package Control website. Half of the developers have no issues part anymore on Github because they shut it off. That’s a real problem.

So a new “Packages Control Store” with reviews, “Sublime text Approved” labels and clear requirements for developers who want to release their stuff on the “Package Control Store” website just like any other serious app’s platform.

A good plan for financing the packages from the developers by asking money for their creations in the “Packages Control Store” including a license system and serial number. Clear support options and requirements for support. Nothing for free! Say 25% go’s to the “Packages Control Store” to maintain the website etc. etc.

I spoke to the developer of the “Side Bar Enhancements” the other week and he received almost no donations nothing and at the same time around 6 million people have downloaded “Sidebar Enhancements”! That can not continue and results in problems like developers jumping of the Sublime Text ship!

1 Like

I will happily refund your license purchase price @ALLMEDIALAB. Forward me your purchase emails and I’ll give you money back even after using my product
for 10 years.

In the big picture, SFTP has been well used and appreciated for 13 years now, and I also built and maintained Package Control for 10 years, and still maintain the hosting to this day.

I’m sorry you feel ill used by all of my contributions. I will not deny that over the past 1-2 years my releases of SFTP and support have degraded. I do intend to do another release - I’ve been working to rebasing putty changes and reproducing the issues on my end, but this is a limited-time side business for me now, and it competes with various open source projects like Package Control hosting for my time.

If you expect Sublime Text to censure the limited remaining commercial benefit I see from many years of hard work, you realize that would be a negative impact for the entire community, yes? If you don’t like SFTP or me, tell everyone you want! Announce it on Twitter, write a blog post, mention it on the forum. But, if you think I should be removed from the ecosystem, just think a little about what you are asking for. You are asking for Package Control hosting to go away also.

2 Likes

@wbond
Hil Will,

At least you could communicate with the license holders by sending a mail, posting on this forum or else instead of leaving everybody in the dark. Can you place your self for once in the mind of the users of your SFTP package instead of only looking to it from your perspective!? That only takes 15 minutes to post a message on this forum.

Unfortunately there are no alternatives for your plugin so you can guess that the users totally relay on you and when it’s not working they have a problem.

It has nothing to do with liking you or not! You advertise with top-notch support and sell a licence, can I expect something then? Or am I nuts?

Of course I don’t want a refund or removing you from your own website I never said that. What I want is quality requirements for packages, because besides it’s pissing people off it also let users walk away from Sublime Text.

Two weeks ago I was doing some SVG editing for a application from within Sublime Text in a Vector editor. I close Sublime text have my lunch break and open Sublime Text again and suddenly the function “Open With” was gone. Of course I first thought that is was a error on my side, but after a day I discovered by looking at Github that SideBar Enhancements was changed. I contacted the author of the Sidebar Enhancements and he said: “Yes I skinned the plugin down and removed Open With”.
No communication nothing.

I am running a serious business and there is no alternative for the Sidebar Enhancements just like your SFTP plugin. I manged to install the old version, but when something essential changes It’s gone!

David

0 Likes

sidebar Enhancements has 2.86M downloads not 6mil
and there is a plugin called sidebar tools but i think it doesn t have open with
and can you tell me what is SFTP i searched for it and i saw it has more than 1mil downloads and it was paid plugin(i didn t know there was paid plugins)
and why do some people need SFTP.

Btw im new to sublime text(im new to coding)

0 Likes

I wonder what issues you are having. I literally just downloaded SFTP the other day on a new machine.
I do understand the need for reviews that would be nice.

As for the “sublime text approved” label, let’s visualize it.

Let’s say Sublime HQ makes a list of “sublime text approved” packages.
Now, let’s say SidebarEnhancements is “sublime text approved” but the package developer deliberately chose not to communicate a certain change to the users (even though they can and package control already helps them announce it to their existing users).

Should we hold Sublime HQ responsible? Maybe remove the “approved” label? Sanction them like maybe put their name on a wall of shame or send them a lawsuit for damaging their reputation?
By then, will package developers even care enough to be recognized officially?

Let’s take it a step higher. What if we also require everyone to be official. Every package developer are now required to follow these rules.
What would happen to the existing packages then? Gut them all out? Maybe we can send all package developers a notice that they need to agree to these rules before removing their package.
Will a person who volunteers to do something even care to agree to these rules?
Does this mean Sublime HQ is now responsible to everyone’s packages?

Let’s say it’s all sunshine and rainbows. Package developers happily contributing to the community with their “official” packages.
Now, for some inexplicable reason, a package developer stops updating or communicating. He doesn’t care anymore. It’s publicly announced. Everyone gets notified. His package gets his label removed, he gets served, pays a fine. Sure, maybe spend some years in jail too if possible. His contract is now gone, nada.
Was that still Sublime HQ’s fault?

Let’s take it even a step higher. Let’s go fully closed source. Sublime HQ hires people to develop official packages. Community packages will now be removed (we don’t want any external responsibility).
We will probably expect an increase in license price, maybe even a change in the business model. Sure that’s fine. Everything is under Sublime HQ’s responsibility now, right?
With all these existing alternatives with their opensource plugin ecosystem, will people even care to use the product by then?

Thinking about it, Microsoft and Jetbrains have these agreements but I am pretty sure there’s a clause there saying something like
“You are responsible for your what you do. We are not liable to anything”

Sublime HQ can have that too but does that mean they are responsible for what the package developer will do?

It is not in my intention to attack you or anything. I do understand where you are coming from.
I fully understand that it is frustrating that issues pop up especially when you are paying that is why I started writing plugins in the first place.

Sure we can vent out here why X package is not working on our end. Let’s blame it all on Sublime.
I guess, Sublime can help by filing a support ticket too?

Anyway, I hope you get your issue sorted out. You can always reach out to the community via the unofficial discord.
I am not saying that those people can and will fix your issues for you. Think of it as a bunch of people trying to help each other out whenever they can.
https://discord.sublimetext.io/

Also, try SideBar Tools.

2 Likes