Sublime Forum

Vintage mode in Terminus

Hi all,

Is there a way to use vintage mode in Terminus? Any idea is appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Likes

As far as I’m aware this is not possible directly because Terminus is just a Terminal emulator. As such whatever program it’s executing (i.e. bash or cmd.exe is what’s responsible for responding to input, displaying things, etc).

So I’m not sure it makes much sense to have vi-like key bindings in the same way as it would be in an editor; you can’t move the cursor around or type where you want unless the thing being executed allows it, and even then it would expect to be in control of that itself.

1 Like

Hi Terence, I was just hoping that Terminus would allow vintage mode in cmd.exe or Powershell. It would be something similar to Vi mode for Bash using the “set -o vi” command. Thank you for clarifying that is not possible through Sublime.

0 Likes

Indeed, something like that would only be possible if there’s an analog for vi mode in one of those shells. I’m not familiar enough with them to know for sure (if any I would assume PowerShell).

Although I used vim as my only text editor for over two decades, I always ensure that I set -o emacs on foreign machines because vi mode in the shell messes with my noodle. :slight_smile:

1 Like