Sublime Forum

VHDL Request

I’m sure that I represent a small minority of users, but it would be very nice if ST provided native language support for VHDL 2008. I suspect such support would attract new users as well. This is the only limitation preventing me from using ST as my primary editor.

1 Like

There’s a VHDL syntax right here: https://packagecontrol.io/packages/VHDL%20Mode

1 Like

Yeah we’ve had VHDL support through Package Control for many years now. There are several packages available. I’m partial to VHDL Mode, but that’s because I’m the author and I use it daily. There are some other alternatives and you can choose what you like.

0 Likes

Thank you both. I did see a few VHDL packages that I may try. I already have an IDE for VHDL development that I am not looking to replace. I was, instead, hoping for simple, native, turn-key syntax highlighting in ST similar to that of many other popular editors such as gedit, jEdit, SlickEdit, Geany, Notepad++, etc.

I posted here to let the makers of ST know that there is interest in native VHDL support.

0 Likes

The package I linked to is as “native” as it’s going to get. All syntaxes for ST are written like that. Even the shipped ones.

1 Like

Installing packages for languages that don’t come built in is the standard way of doing things. If we feel a language is popular enough it may end up being included by default, but in all likelihood that would just mean moving that existing package over to the default ones. So in terms of quality there’s no difference.

2 Likes

Also the fact that default packages are also community maintained and just as open source as any other 3rd party packages. So if a 3rd party syntax definition is not maintained as an open source, most likely will not be maintained even if merged to default.

2 Likes

Not to mention what Sublime does is not just “syntax highlighting”. The language definition is very close to the actual language definition, and VHDL is NOT a simple language to do this for. There are so very many cases, nuances, and things that are hard to find patterns for. It’s not just highlighting the words.

In any event, native is kind of irrelevant. It’s dead simple to use Package Control to select the language you desire. There are several alternatives for VHDL as mentioned. Enjoy!

0 Likes