Sublime Forum

Various encodings/codepages support

Hello guys.
For years I was thinking about getting and switching to this editor, but there always were things it is missing. I was waiting patiently for 3.0 release, and even some time after that but since none useful (for me) changes/features happened, I decided to make this thread (yes I know it will likely be ignored anyway)
In this thread I want to focus only on one of the things - support for various codepages.

When I work with sourcecode and text of various nature, it is often encoded as shift-jis. And the problem is that sublime text can’t work with that (as well as many other) encoding(s).

So when support for that will finally be added?

Now I do know there are ways to work that around, but I want to see the root of the problem solved and support for more encodings added to the core.

Also despite what I said above about shift-jis, this is not the only encoding I want to see. I think better if I will peovide a real-world example of the feature I want. If we’ll take a look at Notepad++ editor, it has an “Encoding” menu that lets you set the encoding of the current document as well as perform some conversions. Everything you can see in that menu I want to see in Sublime Text out-of-the-box as this is the core feature for any respectable text editor.

0 Likes

The “Set Encoding” function in Notepad++ can be compared to “File > Reopen with Encoding” in ST, while “Convert to Encoding” compares to “File > Save with Encoding”

But you are right with ST missing some major eastern encodings - at least those meant for LTR layouts. (RTL not yet supported, so such encodings make no sense at the moment).

0 Likes