Sublime Forum

Use Sublime Merge without git?

Hey,

is there a reason why sublime merge is not able to work as a simple offline merge tool? I think sublime merge is pretty awesome, and it bothers me a lot that I have to use others tools (meld merge, winmerge etc.) to do an offline merge(no git repository) . This is pretty hard to take because sublime merge is definitely capable of doing that…but this feature is not unlocked. Not even you bought the license…

best regards
John

1 Like

You can invoke the merge tool from the command line using smerge mergetool, it doen’t require a git repository. See https://www.sublimemerge.com/docs/command_line

0 Likes

Hey
thanks for the tip, but this only works with single files does it? There is no way to diff multiple files like sublime merge does on repositories right?

John

0 Likes

No there isn’t, though if it did you’d need two specific separate paths to diff and wouldn’t be able to edit anything.

0 Likes

Hey,

I think I wasn’t clear enough. What I would expect would be to set two paths to two different directories. These contain the same files with some changes in it. Now the tool should be able to get the diff for every pair of files. This is exactly the behavior which appears to work on git repositories, but without any reference to git.

I hope that some day it will be possible to do that with sublime since this tool is so much stronger in every aspect (comparing to any other tools I know^^)

Thanks again

John

1 Like

2 Likes