Sublime Forum

Upgrading Sublime and renewal of license via upgrade

Hello,
today, I upgraded my sublime; the bad news was that my license was put to expiration, and that I was enforce to pay a new 80$ to continue.

I am in open source, I do not pay for updates, moreover when I already paid a license before.

At least, the minimum would be to warn the user just before upgrading. This is bad commercial practices, I was using Sublime since many years.

I have decided to migrate to another opensource IDE, cost free.

Wish that sublime, after many developers to leave will reconsider its position…

0 Likes

If you’re using Windows or macOS our update dialog does warn that your license doesn’t cover the next version. Unfortunately if you’re using a Linux package manager this isn’t possible, however if you’re using apt you can easily downgrade using apt install sublime-text=4169.

Some things to note though: Our licenses do not expire, but they only cover updates made within 3 years of purchase; you use the latest version your license covers forever. Additionally we don’t nag if your license doesn’t cover a version.

0 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Geany for instance does the same job, with not this burden. Working with not up-to-date software is not a good habit. Hence no choice: pay or leave…

0 Likes