Sublime Forum

Unwanted Scrolling When Deleting Find/Search Values

This happens often and its very time consuming and frustrating.
I have a value in the find box at the bottom from a search I’ve done. When I want to have it highlight all similar values when selecting a whole word I first need to delete the value that was in the find/search box. When I delete this value the text in the viewer scrolls wildly and randomly to a different place than when I was looking at before. I then have to scroll a lot to find out where I was before which takes some time unless I checked the line number I was at before I do this because I know it will happen again.

Why does it scroll on its own when deleting values from the search box?

0 Likes

It’s highlighting the search result as you’re changing the search query. You can disable this behavior using the right-most button in the find panel “Highlight Matches”.

0 Likes

no, it’s not highlighting anything. It just scrolls. When it stops nothing is highlighted
If you select the entire value in the find box at the bottom of the program and then hit delete, it deletes it instantly. There should be nothing to scroll to or highlight.
Why does the program scroll to highlight nothing when the value of the Find box, in one keystroke, goes from “xxxxxxxx” to “”?
If you have “” in the find box and click “Find” it doesn’t do anything. The same should happen when changing from a value to a non-value when the highlight feature is on.

0 Likes

When you delete the search query it will scroll back to the point at which the search was started. This makes editing your search query consistent, in that it won’t produce a different search result depending on how you edit your query.

2 Likes

why would I want to go back to where the search was started? There is nothing meaningful or logical in that function.
What program , EVER , in the history of the world , when you delete something , it does something else on top of that? NONE.
“It makes editing your search query consistent”. People don’t want consistency if consistent means running your cursor to another part of the document where you are not editing anything.

0 Likes

There’s two reasons: 1. whenever the search query is changed the next result from the starting point is shown, so showing the starting point is useful for knowing where the search is starting and 2. if you want to return to where the search started you can erase the search query.

What program , EVER , in the history of the world , when you delete something , it does something else on top of that? NONE.

gedit works the same when you erase the whole query. VS (code) and probably atom also jump backwards when you partially erase the search query.

“It makes editing your search query consistent”. People don’t want consistency if consistent means running your cursor to another part of the document where you are not editing anything.

This would only happen if you leave the find panel open after finding something, editing it, then with a mouse click focusing back on the find panel and erase the query. That’s how you would continue with your current search, if you wanted to keep the origin. Otherwise you can simply use the find keybinding again (ctrl+f) to start another search from the current selection, or alternatively you can close the find panel when you’ve found what you’re looking for (esc).

2 Likes

Your explanation is using complicated examples to explain complicated features. All I want to do is something simple and not lose the location I am working in. The way all the web browsers work is you select Ctrl+F to get a search window and when you delete the search value it doesn’t scroll. You can give examples of obscure programs that you copied in your functionality and design from but the mass amount of people (potential buyers) is what matters and most programs they use don’t do this.
Way to go, you won an argument and lost a buyer.

0 Likes

You can give examples of obscure programs that you copied in your functionality and design from but the mass amount of people (potential buyers) is what matters and most programs they use don’t do this.

Visual Studio Code and Visual Studio are the most popular code editors (reference). Both of them will jump backwards as you delete characters from your search query, because more often than not you want to keep track of where you started your search from and even if you don’t you can easily avoid this feature by using the keybindings I outlines before.

0 Likes