Sublime Forum

Unity Completion takes 5 hours to extract :>

i know that unity completion is a big file and cant be installed in package control so i need to manually download it i downloaded it and extracted it waited for 5 hours and placed it on the packages folder of sublime text, after that theres another problem, sublime wont work and my computer freezes and then crashes ; < any fix???

0 Likes

If a snippet package is so massive to take 5 hours to extract manually, what would you expect ST do then?

It also needs to extract, read and parse all xml data from the snippet files, which might need even more time and resources than just extracting the package.

The only solution was running ST on a computer with sufficient CPU/RAM and storage resources then.

The downloaded zip file is of 100MB of size and contains about 210k files. Extracting takes round about 4mins here. The files then take round about 50MB on disk. With NTFS compression enabled the real size occupied is even 5MB only.

Stange is that the ZIP file larger than the files on disk. Repacking to ZIP reduces the file size to 53MB, while repacking with 7z results in a file with 3MB of size.

Starting ST with all the snippets extracted/installed takes round about 20 seconds. ST freezes and consumes round about 4GB of RAM while loading the packages. When done RAM usage drops to about 240MB and everything is normal.

Running ST 4074 x64 on Windows 10 x64

3 Likes

oh i really need a new pc oof

0 Likes

I did a little investigation into the install times for this package. Turns out package control was doing some n² checks during installation time. I’ve submitted a fix here: https://github.com/wbond/package_control/pull/1472

7 Likes

We’ve also got a number of performance improvements in the works that mitigate and/or resolve issues when using a large number of snippets.

3 Likes

thank you very much bschaaf <3

0 Likes

so i downloaded it and replaced it with package control ( i wish im doing it right )

0 Likes