Sublime Forum

Unable to update dev version in ubuntu?

I am using dev version right now. Whenever I open my sublime text, it shows “a new version of sublime text is available, download now?” After I press the download button, nothing happens. Does anyone also have this issue?

0 Likes

You should use your system package manager to update ST, assuming you followed the instructions at https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/linux_repositories.html. There is no auto-update from inside ST on Linux.

Might be a good idea to remove the button for platforms where this is not supported.

0 Likes

it normally opens a web browser tab, perhaps the url handler is misconfigured on your system? anyway, the canonical way to upgrade on Linux is using your OSes package manager

0 Likes

I didn’t notice that the built-in auto-update mechanism is only available for win and mac. I think I need to update it manually through package manager repository.

0 Likes

Sublime Merge for Linux doesn’t pop up version upgrade messages for this very reason (that you need to use the package manager on your system to do it for you). I would imagine that Sublime Text will go a similar way before too long. I’m actually surprised that it still does (perhaps worthy of a mention to @wbond as it may have been overlooked?)

The downside to this in the Merge case is that if you happen to be using the tarball version, you need to perform your own checks to see if it’s updated or you end up running an older version because you don’t know it’s changed and there’s no mechanism anywhere to tell you.

That said, as @kingkeith mentions, at the moment the Download button should open a browser and take you to the download page, so if that’s also not happening, there is something outside of Sublime amiss there, I would think.

0 Likes

perhaps a solution would be to have "update_check": false in the default linux specific preferences, so people can enable it if they want to. (I like to be notified by ST immediately rather than wait for my package manager to perform it’s checks)

1 Like

The main issue with this is the tarballs and standalone deb packages that many users have used forever. The Linux repositories are relatively recent, so many users have a workflow for getting updates, but wouldn’t get a notification if we disabled it by default.

The packages ship the exact same executable as the tarball, so by having it enabled for the tarball, we thus have it enabled for the repository users.

0 Likes

fair point - I guess better to keep the current workflow where people can disable it when they don’t want it

3 Likes