Sublime Forum

Unable to Open Packages Error

I wanted to change from Sublime Text 3 to 4 (Stable Channel, Build 4152). I installed it without removing the ST3. And now current and newly created text files are giving the error on the screenshot

• Error loading syntax file "Packages/Text/Plain text.tmLanguage: Unable to open Packages/Text/Plain text.tmLanguage

• Error loading colour scheme Marianasublime-color-scheme: IJnable to find Marianasublime-color-scheme

After this i followed the steps here (Reverting to a Freshly Installed State) but didnt worked.
Than I deleted every file i found related to Sublime Text in appdata, localappdata and in the main file in C drive including the file named “Sublime Text 3” instead of just “Sublime Text”. After another installation of ST4 still getting the same error.

But if I open the ST from the main file using “sublime_text.exe” it works and i can open my files as before while “sublime_text.exe” running. But if I close it and try to open other files it keeps giving the same error.

I also tried solution from similar posts here:

0 Likes

The error messages indicate the running sublime_text executable to not be able to find even most basic packages.

By “…open other files it keeps giving the same error.” you mean double clicking on some file to open it?

May those file associations point to the wrong executable - maybe a left behind from ST3?

A fresh setup would install ST to C:\Program Files\Sublime Text. It should contain a folder called Packages with various <name>.sublime-packages inside.

The corresponding data folders for user customization would be %APPDATA%\Sublime Text. Anything else would likely be a left-over from ST3.

Maybe file associations still point to C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3 or something along those lines?

0 Likes

By “…open other files it keeps giving the same error.” you mean double clicking on some file to open it?

Yes, that’s what I meant.

May those file associations point to the wrong executable - maybe a left behind from ST3?

I think so too but after deleting the local/appdata and main files should have fix it right? I could’nt find any other files related to Sublime Text

A fresh setup would install ST to C:\Program Files\Sublime Text . It should contain a folder called Packages with various <name>.sublime-packages inside.

If it helps there is a screenschot of packages file:

The corresponding data folders for user customization would be %APPDATA%\Sublime Text . Anything else would likely be a left-over from ST3.

1. First i tried to uninstall ST from Apps&Featues section on Windows and reinsall it. Didnt work
  2. Then uninstall it from its own uninstaller (unins000.exe) and reinstall it. Didnt work
  3. Then Reverting to a Freshly Installed State. Didnt work
  4. And last tried to delete ST files on %APPDATA%, %LOCALAPPDATA% and main file on C drive manually including the files named Sublime Text 3 and Sublime Text. I reinstalled it and didn’t work.

I couldn’t find and think about any other solution so i don’t know what to do at this point.

0 Likes

As a side note: Un- and reinstalling the app doesn’t touch any folder/file in %APPDATA%. Thus its often unlikely to have an effect to fix weired behavior.

Files are associated with main executabe, thus deleting %APPDATA% or reverting to freshly installed state doesn’t have any effect.

My hunch is, that files are still associated with C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\sublime_text.exe

To check and fix it, you could …

1. right click on effected file
  2. Open “Properties” dialog
  3. Click on “Change” button next to “Open with” propertie.
  4. Actively select new sublime text executable, maybe via “Browse files…”.
0 Likes

My hunch is, that files are still associated with C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\sublime_text.exe

I think so too. I tried the way you suggested to change file type with the right .exe file but didn’t work. Also I get exactly the same errors when I delete the application using Windows Settings and try to open the files(without changing the default application). So they probably associated to something I can’t find right now.

Thank you for trying to help me with my problem but I guess I will replace SublimeText with something else for now :sweat_smile:

0 Likes