Sublime Forum

Totally independent editing sessions

I would like to capability to create/start totally independent editing sessions, ctrl-shift-n works but the windows are liked and sometimes this causes problems. I am running on windows 10 and typically run 9 virtual desktop windows using dextop.
Is there a way to do this?

0 Likes

Can you elaborate on the problems from “liked” windows?

Also, did you know that windows 10 has virtual desktops natively?

0 Likes

Well my typical setup is to start windows 10, then start dextop (a virtual desktop manager) and then start sublime text 3.
Once sublime starts I go to the window and use ctrl-n to start several new sublime windows, I copy each one of those to separate virtual desktop.

I then go about my business, each virtual desktop is a separate logical work task. Sometimes when I close the sublime window in one virtual desktop others close. Sometimes I will start an edit session on a files in one virtual desktop only to have them also show up in sublime in other virtual windows. I am sure there a pattern but it almost seems random.

Using the ‘real’ windows 10 virtual desktop support, I start a sublime session in one desktop and if i go to another virtual desktop and click on my sublime icon in the task bar it switches back to the original virtual desktop.

0 Likes

Any thoughts ?

0 Likes

You could use several portable sublime texts to get the maximal independency, but that doesn’t sound like a good solution and the problem sounds more like a bug.

0 Likes

I only have the “real” windows 10 virtual desktop support to work with/test on, but minimally speaking if I have two virtual desktops with Chome and Sublime open on the first one, and then go to the second desktop, clicking the Chrome button opens a new chrome on that desktop while clicking the Sublime button switches to the first desktop and activates the window.

That would seem to indicate that Sublime is the one that’s making this happen. I suspect that this has to do with how when you try to run Sublime it talks to the running instance instead of starting a process, which activates the original window and jumps to that desktop.

As a test I modified my shortcut to Sublime (I keep it pinned to the taskbar) so that it passes the -n parameter to Sublime to tell it to open a new window.

With that in place, clicking the Sublime taskbar button on a desktop with a sublime window activated the window on that desktop, while on the second desktop it created a new empty window the first time and then would activate that window the second time.

I did only trivial testing with it however, but I would give that a shake and see where it gets you.

0 Likes

Thanks for the informaiton, I will give this a try. Seems work for the standard windows virtual desktop support but I am guessing that the dextop sessions will still have issues since they are just started with a ‘crtl-n’ directive.

0 Likes