Sublime Forum

Tools to markup sentence text

Hallo!
I am just beginning a second time to install. The first time failed and I do not know why.
With this new installation I will watch the process more carefully.
I am not a programmer but a writer who is trying to learn some programming and text markup techniques.
I wan to be able to do the following to a file of text sentences:

1. Count the words in each sentence, sentence by sentence and insert the word number in brackets following the sentence.
  2. Break each sentence into its clauses (with a | placed where the break should occur), replacing the | with an eol character.
  3. Break each clause into its phrase elements with say a comma as break and replace commas with eol characters.
  4. Name each phrase with its type placed in brackets at beginning of phrase such as [Subject], [Verb] etc.
  5. Use dictionary lookup to translate each phrase.
    Are any of these 5 steps available as plugins or functions, or if not programmable etc?
    Is there a plugin to “ahk” or is anyone working on such a plugin?
    Is there support for SQLite or a similar database?
    For any help I would be more that grateful.
    Thanks and kind regards, patrickforkin.
0 Likes

1-5 are all doable :smile: give us a test file and we can help do that :smile:

What exactly do you mean by plugin to “ahk”? an ahk language syntax file?

Support for SQLite as in what? Coloring?, snippets?, or actually use the DB with sublime like read/edit records, etc?

0 Likes

python comes with an sqlite3 module in the std lib, so you shouldn’t have any trouble there

0 Likes

My reply to the following response

Hallo!

Re: tools to markup sentence text

New postby EJ12N on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:06 pm
A. 1-5 are all doable :smile: give us a test file and we can help do that :smile:
B. What exactly do you mean by plugin to “ahk”? an ahk language syntax file?
C. Support for SQLite as in what? Coloring?, snippets?, or actually use the DB with sublime like read/edit records, etc?

In response to A:
I will send a file of 10 sentences marked with a | to segment to Clauses and a copy of of the same file segmented and then marked with commas to segment phrases. This segmentation I will also send.
In response to B:
I made the comment because I looked at ahk as a possible candidate. If sublime meets my needs then ahk is not needed.
In response to C:
Candidates I have for the dictionary are SQLite and Gadfly based on SQLite.
I am building the dictionary using CSV. When ready I will import it to SQLite. If you have an interface to SQLite it will make my total task easier.
Building a notation to link words in the phrases and cross-link phrases is one of my goals.
If it is of interest to you, I can send you descriptive material when I return from a short visit to Stuttgart this week. I return mext Sunday.
If Sublime can do what I want then I will provide you with sufficient documentation describing the complete process even to the point of gathering desktop word usage to create the dictionary.
By the way I need an email address from you to be able to send the documentation as a zip file.
It is too much to include in a post
Thanks and kind regards, for a promt and positive response, patrickforkin.

0 Likes

Hallo!
If I do not receive early tomorrow an email address to which I can send the zip file, then I will be unable to send it until after the following weekend since I am away from my office until Monday 1 March.
Regards, patrickforkin.

0 Likes

[quote=“patrickforkin”]Hallo!
If I do not receive early tomorrow an email address to which I can send the zip file, then I will be unable to send it until after the following weekend since I am away from my office until Monday 1 March.
Regards, patrickforkin.[/quote]

You can use pastie.org/ or any free uploader like rapidshare or mediafire :wink:

0 Likes

Response to EJ12N

Hallo!

I have looked as “pastie” and have seen no way to ensure that what I send will reach you in the format in which I made it.
Suggest and alternative such as a named person in development or in support, or why should I not send it to support marked for delivery to “EJ12N” as Forum Member.
Regards, patrickforkin.

0 Likes

The translation model in its simplest form is used to do the following:

Hallo!

I have trimmed the post to the following, in its most simple form:

Steps in the translation model.

Sentence example.
The little boy has played football all afternoon with his friends.

1. Manually insert | at end of main clause, following the direct object.
    The little boy has played football | all afternoon with his friends.

2. Program to replace | with EOL character. (results in two clauses)
    The little boy has played football
    all afternoon with his friends.

3. Program insertion of clause names results in:
    [Main Clause] The little boy has played football
    **[Predicate] ** all afternoon with his friends.

4. Program duplication of clause content results in
    [Main Clause] The little boy has played football,
    The little boy has played football,
    [Predicate] all afternoon with his friends.

5. Manual insertion of commas in second copy results in
    [Main Clause] The little boy, has, played, football,
    The little boy, has, played, football,
    all afternoon, with his friends,.

6. Replacing commas with EOL characters in copy results in
    [Main Clause] The little boy has played football,
    The little boy,
    has,
    played,
    football,

all afternoon,
with his friends,.

7. Program insertion of phrase names results in:
[Main Clause]
The little boy has played football,
[Subject] The little boy,
[Verb 1] has,
**[Verb 2] **played,
**[Direct Object] football,
[Predicate]
[Prep Phrase Time] all afternoon,
[Prep Phrase Place] with his friends,.

An alternative approach would be to provide you with a test file of some 15 to 18 sentences covering all sentence types from simple to compond and even complex.

This would give you a more complete understanding of the model.

Following the above, if it proves to be doable with sublime.text, I would provide you with the notation scheme and with a dictionary layout using either SQLite or Gadfly.

I need to know which sublime.text can support.

I hope the above proves to be an adequate description and is understandable. If not you can send me a post.

Wish you luck and success. Regards, patrickforkin,

0 Likes

Check your private messages.

0 Likes

Hallo!
For whatever unknown reason, at least to me unknown, you have ceased to respond to my posts.
I am still alive and “kicking”, as one says.
I am still interested in the use of sublime to help me build my model for text analysis and even to the point of translating my English texts into German.
Is anyone interested in communicating with me on the subject?
I hope so and hope to hear from you.
Regards, patrickforkin.

0 Likes

[quote=“patrickforkin”]Hallo!
For whatever unknown reason, at least to me unknown, you have ceased to respond to my posts.
I am still alive and “kicking”, as one says.
I am still interested in the use of sublime to help me build my model for text analysis and even to the point of translating my English texts into German.
Is anyone interested in communicating with me on the subject?
I hope so and hope to hear from you.
Regards, patrickforkin.[/quote]

I have sent you a few PMs with my email address, I don’t know if you are receiving 'em?
Here send 'em to sublimetext [at] ej12n [dot] com

0 Likes