Sublime Forum

Theming functionality request

… and a free UI designer slave offering :slight_smile:

Well, Jon, if you’ll have some time to extend the theming functionality for a few little details, so I could build some awesome themes for this awesome editor, here is the list of what I’m missing right now :slight_smile:

]Ability to change the color of text in a sidebar rows, with extra color for the selected row./]
]Ability to add a permanent background for a sidebar section title rows (“FILES”, “FOLDERS”, … as seen on the design screenshot below), possibly with different states for expanded and collapsed sections (and make it so the selected_tree_row texture would not overwrite this)/]
]Shadows for texts. At least 1 pixel without smoothing (basically the same text under the original one with 1px diagonal offset) is enough. And while we are at the text, here is one issue. Please, tell me how to get rid of this:
http://i52.tinypic.com/25amck5_th.png
I know that it is the “bg” property in “tab_label” class, but if the selected row is lighter than the normal row, there is no way how to keep it invisible on both of them, as I don’t see any “tab_label_selected” class there. Best would be - of course - 0 to the opacity, but alpha color value isn’t doing anything right now./
]
]“scrollbar_overlap” property, kinda similar to the “tab_overlap”, which would allow me to give the scrollbar texture some nice shadows. I can do that now, but with bigger shadow it looks like the scrollbar is not exactly on top, even if you are on top. Explanation:
http://i54.tinypic.com/6p28er_th.png/
]
]The first tree level indentation setting. With permanent backgrounds for a sidebar section titles, there is enough semantical distinction between these 2 levels, so you doesn’t have to force that first indentation, and create an unnecessarily wide sidebar if user doesn’t want a horizontal scrollbar on it. Yeah, it’s just a few pixels, but lets say, for a guy like me, it is pretty annoying :)/]

If anything on the list can be done right now, and I’ve just missed it in a .sublime-theme file, please, educate me :slight_smile:

Here is the updated design I’m after right now:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2mypvfs_th.png

I would like to create a similar theme in a light version as well, matching the colors of default sidebar. But, as I hate doing compromises, I’ll probably pass without options listed above. At least the sidebar text colors are crucial :frowning:

So, what I need right now is to tell me, if (not when, just if) you are going to implement some of these things, OR that you don’t care that much about UI design, and that I should fuck off and not bother you with it again :slight_smile: Just so I won’t waste too much time on something that can’t be done.

0 Likes

Very Nice! This is the design I excpected as default for Sublime Text X.

0 Likes

In short: yes.

The visual design of Sublime Text is very important to me, and I am planning on expanding the capabilities of the theme file format. I won’t be able to get all of these items done immediately, especially with the upcoming public alpha, but I will do what I can.

In the mean time, please keep the suggestions coming, they’re quite useful to read.

0 Likes

That’s great! :slight_smile: Here is the light version:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2128u8n_th.png

I’ll release them both as soon as sublime will allow it.

0 Likes

Beautiful themes! Now if someone would create a color scheme with a grey background to go with your light theme, that’d be awesome!

0 Likes

Awesome work Darsain!

Now that SublimeText 2 is out, perhaps you can start working on packaging those themes? :wink:

What about scroll bar? will that remain a block?

0 Likes

I already have them running on my sublime, but many elements from screenshots are just not there, because sublime doesn’t support it yet (which is point of this topic) - thus, it doesn’t look so good, and they are definitely not in a state I could release them.

But as I said, you will be able do get them as soon as the features listed above will be implemented, and I’ll be able to finish them.

0 Likes

On the subject of theming…

I would love to see an option to hide the main menu toolbar with perhaps the ability to show it by holding down the alt key or something.

0 Likes