Sublime Forum

The new logo is bound to be controversial

Says the guy who has the anarchist symbol as a forum icon.

Not paranoid at all.

0 Likes

Well… controversial or not I liked it, and made an svg version for wallpapers or whatever. I’m posting here in case Sublime wants to ask me to not share :slight_smile:

http://mauriciowolff.com/sublime-icon.svg

Thanks for this awesome piece of software

0 Likes

The website already has an SVG version. I appreciate your recreation, but I would prefer if it isn’t shared because it looks (slightly) different.

0 Likes

Is the Chevy SS Sedan also distasteful? Looks good to me.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-sedan

0 Likes

Possibly because you’re editing the file while ST is running or the editor didn’t have write permissions in the Program Files directory. I suggest moving sublime_text.exe elsewhere and modifying that, then move it back.

0 Likes

Thanks for replying. I thought of doing what you say, but the instructions for Resource Hacker say to make a copy elsewhere, and then edit the original file in place. I could edit the copy, but that would mean that I would have to move files back and forth, and if something went wrong, I might lose Sublime Text.
I also don’t know if Jon and Will are happy about me modifying their application.

I will tolerate the new icon for now. I may go for a desktop short-cut.

Thanks for the thought.

0 Likes

Thanks for the headsup, the compressor messed up the shadow. Now I got the svg from the site and applied to the rectangle that I got from the app ICS.

0 Likes

Winamp — It really whips the llama’s ass!

1 Like

btw… See How the New Sublime Text Logo Was Made on CodePen :wink:

0 Likes

This thread is ridiculous. The new logo looks great. It sounds like OP has a tendency to think about the SS a lot, which is odd. It would have never crossed my mind. The fact that the new logo looks like two brackets is neat.

0 Likes

Hello… yes, I too find this controversy a bit out of place.
I think that the designer who designed this new logo, basically wanted to modernize it with simple shapes and a flat design style, rather than make a poor reference to our dark story by creating a visual link with the symbol of “SS” Nazis.
After that, everyone is free to see what he wants, but here I think it’s a bit abusive, overout for a simple development software … do not you think?

0 Likes

I don’t think anyone is saying the resemblance is intentional.

1 Like

Yes I agree.

I only wanted to point out that, in the absence of the author’s manifest intention, everything is ultimately a question of personal interpretation.

But, since this is a problem of resemblance, I wonder: what are the limits of objective criteria to affirm the resemblance between two symbols?

Personally, I might say that there may be some form of evocation (although I did not perceive it before I discovered this discussion), but I would not say it is a resemblance , the differences are too marked to assert this definitively.

It’s just my opinion …

0 Likes

I’ll repeat, I’m not personally offended by the logo.

Unfortunately there is a resemblance, however unintentional, to a notorious and rightly despised historical symbol associated with the very worst of human nature. Several people have noticed it. There was even a thread discussing this similarity before version 3 was released.

I don’t see why an already popular text editor needed to rebrand to a logo reminiscent of something so potentially painful to a lot of people, particularly when Sublime had a perfectly good logo already. It feels like an unnecessary own goal. Brands get called out for far less these days, after all.

Saying “woo, angle brackets!” simply reaffirms the stereotype about emotionally tone-deaf developers. The point is there are no " limits of objective criteria to affirm the resemblance between two symbols", that’s why good taste and good judgement are required. On reflection, though I’m not “offended”, when considering the disregard for history and the potential to cause pain to others I feel neither has been exercised here.

1 Like

Spending their time going after something that is only theoretically offensive reaffirms the software developer’s predilection for bikeshedding

0 Likes

I am deaf-born. Please do not offend or blame the deaf people for the bad designs.

0 Likes

Bikeshedding : replacing a perfectly good logo with a slightly squashed Nazi symbol.

0 Likes

Apologies, I meant no offence - I forgot a hyphen and have edited my post to clarify what I meant. Thanks for pointing it out!

0 Likes

closed #41
0 Likes

The discussion has been had. We’re not going through it again :+1:

4 Likes