Sublime Forum

The editor

My Sublime 3,
The editor cursor is horizontal and does not type anything in the editor
How do I get back to normal?

0 Likes

Do you see something in the status line that says COMMAND MODE?

Your problem sounds suspiciously like you have removed Vintage from ignored_packages, which makes Sublime operate like vi, which is not at all what you want unless you’re familiar with how vi works.

As a first step, I would select Preferences > Settings, which opens up a new window with your preferences in it. On the left are the default settings and on the right are your custom settings.

Check to see if ignored_packages appears on the right hand side (i.e. your settings). If it doesn’t, then this is not your problem because Vintage is ignored by default.

On the other hand, if it does appear on the right hand side, make sure that it contains Vintage; it should look something like this (there may be other packages in there).

"ignored_packages":
[
    "Vintage"
],

If you see Vintage in that list, this is not your problem. If you don’t see it, then you need to add it to the list of packages as seen here. To do that, press the i key which will make the status line say INSERT MODE instead of COMMAND MODE, then add the package. If there is more than one package, make sure they’re all separated by commas in the list.

Once you save your preferences, Vintage will be ignored and everything will go back to normal.

0 Likes

You should be able to type stuff after pressing the letter i if you wonder how to add that to the settings file :wink:

0 Likes