Sublime Forum

Tabs Swicher popup plugin

Hello to all!

I am new at Sublime and to this forum.
I was configuring Sublime 3 to meet my needs/habits and I realized that I cannot find one plugin that I need very badly.
In N++ when you click Ctrl+Tab you have Popup window with all tabs opened mentioned and you can navigate through tabs with continuous Tab key pressing, holding Ctrl key at the same time.
Very useful feature, especially if you have a lot of tabs opened (which I usually do). You just select from a list by navigating quickly with Tab key.

Here, when I press Ctrl+Tab - no popup window… you need to click many times to navigate to correct tab, which is very inconvenient in my opinion… Does anybody know if there is some Tabs popup window/tabs switcher popup or something like that?

That is the only think which I couldn’t setup in Sublime and what is bothering me very much.

I appreciate you help, thank you.

P.S: I was searching plugins over Internet but nothing :frowning:

0 Likes

Hi there,

Not sure if it’s what you are looking, but there is three plugins at package control about tab switch:
https://packagecontrol.io/search/tab%20switch

Another thing that you can try is Ctrl+P, which give you an auto-complete list of the files. Simple a quick way to switch between one or another.

Cheers

0 Likes

For ExtendedTabSwitcher you can get the keybinding examples from the repo directly:

[
    { "keys": ["ctrl+alt+tab"], "command": "extended_switcher", "args": {"list_mode": "window"} },
    { "keys": ["ctrl+alt+shift+tab"], "command": "extended_switcher", "args": {"list_mode": "active_group"} }
]

(ctrl+alt doesn’t bind well in some OSes though)

0 Likes

unfortunately, it doesn’t fit.
on key binding press it does open popup BUT if I then press Tab key again (holding Ctrl key down) it does not switch tabs (stays on first)… so it is useless…

I wonder if this plugin could be improved to handle continuous Tab key press (while ctrl is hold down)?

0 Likes

I wonder what you expect such a popup to work like.

While NP++ comes with only one window per instance which has only one visible view, ST allows many windows with many groups which can contain many views.

In abstract words: While a tab switcher popup in NP++ needs to display only a list of views, a switcher in ST would probably need to provide features to switch between all windows/groups/views of an instance. 1 level vs. 3 levels.

Would alt+tab show a popup with views of the current group only?

Should it display all views of a window?

Should it display a list of groups to switch to?

The complexity of ST’s UI arises a lot of questions and possible solutions/workflows, which then would need to interact with the plugin API as well.

I use BetterTabCycling plugin for instance as I prefere alt+tab to only cycle through views of the current focus group.

Another question is: What value does such a popup have? You can’t read any content being outlined in a small preview and the list of open view’s in a focus group is available via tab menu as well. Tab cycling is quick already.

0 Likes

There are default popups… I rebound a lot of keys to match N++ as a lot of their keys were intuitive and I rebound a few for Sublime Text to the Function keys…

F1 through F12… I hate how sublime text now overwrites the User keybind file deleting all comments and making it ugly…

{
		"keys": ["f1"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "goto", "show_files": true}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f10"],
		"command": "prompt_select_workspace"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f11"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "command_palette", "text": " "}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f12"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "command_palette", "text": "Package Control: "}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f13"],
		"command": "build"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f14"],
		"command": "paste"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f15"],
		"command": "show_panel", "args": {"toggle": true, "panel": "console"}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f17"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f18"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f19"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f2"],
		"command": "find_under"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f20"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f21"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "command_palette", "text": "Package Control: Install Package"}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f21"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f22"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "command_palette", "text": "Package Control: Enable Package"}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f22"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f23"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "command_palette", "text": "Package Control: Disable Package"}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f23"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f24"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "command_palette", "text": "Package Control: Uninstall Package"}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f24"],
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f3"],
		"command": "find_next"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f4"],
		"command": "goto_symbol_in_project"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f5"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "goto", "text": "#"}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f6"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "goto", "text": ":"}
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f7"],
		"command": "quick_goto_function"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f8"],
		"command": "quick_goto_variable"
	},
	{
		"keys": ["f9"],
		"command": "show_overlay", "args": {"overlay": "command_palette", "text": "Snippet: "}
	},

and it resorts…

You’ll want… the F1 key.

Note: F21 through F24 are not bindable in Sublime Text as of 3176… The other F keys are.

0 Likes

We don’t need to overcomplicate things here. The suggested Ctrl+Tab popup list should show the documents opened in the active view - the similar list of files as the one shown by pressing the “Rectangle Down” button at the top-right corner of the active view. With the only exception that this list of files should be in MRU order. That’s it. As simple as that.
I’ve illustrated and compared the behavior of Ctlr+P against the desired behavior of Ctrl+Tab here:

0 Likes