Sublime Forum

Syntax highlighting regex finding repeat occurences

Hello!

I’m trying to create syntax highlighting for the language Inform III (used to program Yaskawa Motoman industrial robots). So far I’m happy with what I’ve come up with but now I want to do a thing I can’t figure out how to do.

Here’s an example of a simple Inform III program:

/JOB //NAME Test //POS ///NPOS 0,0,0,0,0,0 //ALIAS ///LVARS 1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 LB000 byteVariableName //INST ///DATE 2015/11/25 13:37 ///ATTR SC,RO ///GROUP1 RB1 ///LVARS 1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 NOP '-------------------------------- SET byteVariableName 0 INC byteVariableName '-------------------------------- END

At the moment I’m succesfully matching the first occurence of byteVariableName with this:

(?<=([0-9]{4} ))\w+|(?<=([LBIDRSPCE][0-9]{3} ))\w+

(the name can be preceeded with either a 4-digit number or at least one of those letters followed by a 3-digit number)

What I want to do is have a separate regex that will find every other occurence of byteVariabelName, and I can’t figure out how to do that, what I’ve tried so far haven’t even come close.

//Stefan

0 Likes

Since this isn’t going anywhere, would it be possible instead to have the regex I have at the moment to match every occurence in the entire file?

To be clear:
If I write LB000 varName in the top of the file I want all occurences of varName to be matched no matter where in the file they are

0 Likes

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

1. Regular expressions support back-references, but Sublime Text only ever applies an expression to one line. Ever. So you can’t do it in one expression.
  2. There are begin-end-patterns that can match the same thing over multiple lines, but an end pattern can only ever match once. And matches are not exposed anywhere else.

You’ll need to use a plugin for that functionality, utilizing the view.add_region API.

Edit: I also just tested this with a .sublime-syntax file, where you can have multiple “end” patterns since it has a concept of contexts, but the backreference is only valid in a pattern that specifies “pop: true”, thus exiting the context where \1 would be defined immediately. Yes, “set” doesn’t work either.

0 Likes

Well, that explains why nothing I tried worked.
Thanks for the answer, I guess I’ll have work around that some other way.

0 Likes

Is it possbile to get the file to import syntax? :grin:

0 Likes