Sublime Forum

Syntax highlighting and colored emoji for Package Control Messages

Hello,

I have two cosmetic issues with the Package Control Messages that are not severe but a little annoying.

1. Can we somehow define Markdown as the default syntax for these messages? They are usually written in Markdown notation but the new tab for them defaults to plain text.
  2. Some package developers use emoji in their messages and I noticed that macOS shows colored emoji but Windows 10 is still showing monochrome emoji. Windows 10 has support for colored emoji but Sublime Text does not seem to take advantage of them.

These aren’t really big issues but after a while they start to get annoying. :blush:

0 Likes

re 1:

0 Likes

Re 2: this is mostly a font issue. You should be able to see colored emoji, if you change the default font in ST preferences.

0 Likes

I am using the Hack font on both Windows 10 and macOS and on Windows the emoji are monochrome while they are colored on macOS.
Do you know an other font for Windos 10 which supports colored emoji?

0 Likes

I believe this has to do with how Windows implements font fallback. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that the font in the fallback list on Windows provides monochrome emoji and not colored emoji. Microsoft has released a proportional font (in the Segoe UI family) with colored emoji, but I don’t recall a monospace colored emoji font that comes with Windows.

3 Likes

I had the same problem and tried a lot of things that didn’t work. I did notice that vscode on windows is capable of displaying colored emoji though (my default font for both sublime and vscode is consolas), so maybe there’s still some way to tweak sublime to do the same …
http://img.imgland.net/4m4e9US.png

0 Likes

The browser engines enabled colored emoji a lot earlier for macOS than for Windows. Now apps which are based on an up-to-date Electron should support colored emoji for Windows as well. Therefore it is no surprise that VSCode can do this.

0 Likes