Sublime Forum

Submodule support

Hey Sublime team, great job with Sublime Merge! I’m really excited to to try out a new git client with a distinguished pedigree.

I’ve had a lot of good first impressions from my initial explorations of the application. I love the “Hunk history” feature. I love the speed. But one thing I’m not crazy about is the submodule support, or lack thereof. Is it safe to assume this will be improved in future updates?

To be more specific:

• In the sidebar I see lists of branches, remotes, stashes, etc. Where are the submodules? They’re a critically important part of my local repo state – they should be near the top!
  • “submodule updated” is not a helpful status. What was the old hash? What is the new hash? Better yet, what actually changed?? (Recursion isn’t that hard a concept, is it?)
  • There needs to be a way to quickly and easily navigate between a repo and its submodules, without managing multiple windows.

Look, I totally get it. Submodules are annoying to account for, and there are ways to work around these issues by having multiple windows open or whatnot. But as you point out in your post announcing Sublime Merge:

When it comes to software, getting it really right goes beyond functionality.

NOBODY in the market provides “Really Right” submodule support. Nobody.

You could change that, if you get creative and find ways to eliminate the friction of dealing with submodules. If you manage to do it, you will find enthusiastic customers at very large companies with lots of money to spend on tools. :wink:

10 Likes

I’m actually seeing all of my submodules at unstatged files - this doesn’t seem right.

0 Likes

Hmm, I only see that if I’ve changed the commit of the submodule, which is what I would expect. It’s basically the least level of support that’s essential to have a working git client.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, this is so true. I’ll happily endorse and pay for any git client that gets submodules right.

0 Likes

I’m also closely watching support for submodules and might have a few paying customers at my company that I can get onboard once I determine that Sublime Merge is mature enough.

0 Likes