Sublime Forum

SublimeText Project Status?

Jon’s usually not very active on twitter but he gets around to his emails eventually.

0 Likes

Corrupt rendering bug

btw, last SublimeText dev build is Sep 20, which is stable enough for me.

0 Likes

I also began to worry about the future of ST2… :frowning:

Some people (including Jon) said that the development of ST2 is still very strong, but we have no way to know if it’s true.
I already seen too many promising projects/products suddenly stopped after giving false promises to theirs users.

When I start using ST (2 years ago), it was both the product AND the amazing developer behind it that convinced me to change my everyday editor.
The development of ST2 was very fast, with lot of nice features every weeks, and almost each build was perfectly stable, even in the Alpha days.

Now it looks like this project is almost dead:

• No “major” builds since months.
  • sublimetext.userecho.com is a dead end. No triage/update/comment for 9 months now.
  • Bug reports on the forum look useless.
  • No blog or twitter update.

I use ST2 everyday and really enjoy it, way better than anything I tried before, but there are a few annoying bugs that really need to be resolved ASAP.
Hope we will see some news soon.

0 Likes

To stay or to leave of this community
To stay or to leave of this community

After i was burned with E-text, i’m feeling the same. In a way.

On the other hand, I (still) have faith that Jon will eventually come out with something cool.

Sure, more transparency won’t be bad though!

0 Likes

I have the same concern. I have been using the dev vesions for a couple of months and I really like it. The things that bother me from buying a license are:

1. The development of SLT seems to be less and less active - I am not sure the future of SLT.
  2. There are so many bug reports in the forum and I am not sure if SLT 2 is still buggy.

So I’ll keep using the dev version for while and see what happens.

JF

0 Likes

There’s a lot going on on the development side of things. The items I’m working on are not suitable for a series of incremental releases, thus the lack of dev builds.

0 Likes

Project still alive?

That’s enough for me (at least for next month or so :mrgreen: )

0 Likes

It looks like you don’t want to give the actual development status and keep the surprise for the next big thing, well I like surprises (especially the good ones), so wait and see :astonished:

But what about bugs ?

edit: Currently, the most annoying bug for me is this one:
https://github.com/gornostal/Modific/issues/9
It happens not only in this plugin and is probably related to regions with icon in the gutter.
This is a typical example:

0 Likes

Any way to force cursor visiblity during moves?
Tabs for open files don't always repaint

Bug fix will become bigger and bigger issues unless Jon can fix them magically all at once in his big thing.

0 Likes

@jps Are fixes for retina display performance included in this release? ST2 is effectively unusable on my retina display 15" MBP, and I’m forced to use Textmate when I’m on it. Major bummer :frowning:

0 Likes

I’m on 2219 and a 13" Retina MBP, using Soda Dark + many plugins, and I see no obvious performance issues, let alone unusable speed.

What version are you using, and when is it slowing down? Is it just on the Goto Anything/Command Palette?

Seems like the 15" would be substantially faster if anything, having the discrete GPU which mine lacks.

0 Likes

[quote=“natebeaty”]

I’m on 2219 and a 13" Retina MBP, using Soda Dark + many plugins, and I see no obvious performance issues, let alone unusable speed.

What version are you using, and when is it slowing down? Is it just on the Goto Anything/Command Palette?

Seems like the 15" would be substantially faster if anything, having the discrete GPU which mine lacks.[/quote]

The last stable from july (4 months?) didn’t include the performance enhancement for Retina, so you can expect that lot of people have this kind of issue.
Couldn’t the “next big thing” in development delayed and spend some days to fix the current version (and update the stable build) ?

0 Likes

Don’t you think this deserves to be seen on something where it’s more likely noticed, e.g. Twitter?

0 Likes

Ah, I wondered that as I asked. The retina performance improvements seem completely stable for me, I haven’t seen any issues with 2219. (And since recently getting a retina machine, I’ve seen all sorts of glitches on other apps, mostly in switching back and forth to my external non-retina monitor.) I’m sure it’ll make its way to stable soon.

Of course that’s up to Jon to answer, but if folks have paid for ST2, they have access to build 2219 that addresses the issue. Otherwise, non-registered users have a reason to delay purchase and continue whatever other development setup they were using before considering ST2.

0 Likes

More than 40 days since this last post about ST development status, and no news…

Anyway, 2 days before the end of the world, so I guess it really doesn’t matter :unamused:

0 Likes

What with nightly builds? When we can see new version of ST?

0 Likes