Sublime Forum

Sublime Text not opening from Merge

Just bought SM and already have ST but am finding that SM cannot seem to open ST. So for instance 'Edit Settings…" does nothing. “Open in Sublime Text…” also does nothing.

I have tried putting an explicit path to the ST exe in the preferences as well as leaving it blank and nothing happens either way.

Both things are installed into default path on the C drive. OS is Windows 10 Enterprise.

I’ve tried pointing the editor as Notepad and that works fine.

Home machine running Windows 10 LTSC seems to be working okay though.

0 Likes

can you try:

1. add sublime_text.exe to your path?
  2. set preferences / Advanced : Editor Path to "sublime_text.exe
0 Likes

That didn’t make a difference. But I have just enabled windows process auditing and can see from the event log that the sublime_text.exe process is launched and immediately terminates.

Exit code 0xC000042C

Runs fine launching it with arguments from a command line though

0 Likes

Turns out that you need to run SM as administrator otherwise nothing happens when it tries to open ST.

0 Likes

Can you open ST as a normal user?

0 Likes

Yes I always open ST as a normal user with no problems. Also ST has no problem opening SM.

The problem appears to just be SM opening ST when it isn’t elevated (and only on my work machine, not my home machine).

0 Likes

Turns out that you need to run SM as administrator otherwise nothing happens when it tries to open ST.

This shouldn’t happen! I have Win 10 Home x64 and, like you, I’ve purchased and installed SM after ST; and never experienced any of the problems you have mentioned.

You should isolate the problem instead of escalating privileges, IMO, for there’s no reason why SM shouldn’t launch ST.

Is your OS 64 bits? And both ST and SM same bitness?

0 Likes

Everything is 64-bit. As it works fine on my home computer I am thinking it must be down to the security software we have on the office machines. I can’t easily disable that to test though.

0 Likes

could the application been installed for different user groups?

0 Likes