Sublime Forum

Sublime Text freezes on Linux (Fedora / GNOME)

holy shiiiii, I mean its not ideal having the system monitor running on another screen all the time but at least I’ve stoped tearing my hair out! haha

Thanks!

1 Like

From the linked bug report, it seems like the least intrusive workaround so far is to enable seconds display on the clock on the top bar. That forces a frame refresh every second, substantially reducing the issue.

0 Likes

Yeah I read that yesterday infact! the refresh rate of glxgears or system montor removes the freeze completely, but the clock showing seconds you get a slight lag inbetween a second passing, but its definitly better than having always on top window! Thanks!

0 Likes

Still there on Ubuntu 21.04

Gnome 3.38.3
5.8.0-40-generic
AMD Vega 8 (Open source) X11

Good news If I open the system monitor on a new Virtual desktop it goes away.

0 Likes

I am on Ubuntu 20.10 with Intel video. I see the same problem in Terminator (already replaced it with Tilix) and Sublime. Both windows should be in Maximized position.

But I realized that this problem won’t occur if you use always visible Ubuntu dock.

0 Likes

I am on Ubuntu 20.04.1 with some old nvidia card.
This workaround seems worked for me perfectly:

(found it here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/3369#note_1035553 )
btw. I have tried to enable seconds in toolbar, but this did not fix the issue (maybe only partly).

0 Likes

I am on Ubuntu 20.04.2 with Intel graphics and don’t have a problem.
I use no workarounds.

0 Likes

Hi there ! Finally some hope. Recent activity on mutter seems to resolve my issues.
I recompiled mutter 3.38.3-5 on Debian bullseye from Debian sid where they incorporated patches for X11 frame timing issues. Some other people have reported success on Fedora as well.

I just enjoyed my snappy beloved ST3 for 4 hours straight without any glitches.

0 Likes

After a few more days of intensive use, problem is gone for me. Hope the updates will soon land in your favorite distro.

Cheers !

0 Likes

I use Ubuntu with Gnome and I was facing the same issue.
It is a problem with gnome that can be worked aroud by the wandering-pixel extension. I couldn’t install the extension because it made me install a browser extension, so I just started a seconds ticker in my clock and the freezing issue doesn’t happen (at least it’s not noticeable). Run the command:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface clock-show-seconds true
0 Likes

FYI this seems to be fixed after I upgraded from Ubuntu 20.10 to 21.04.

0 Likes