Sublime Forum

Sublime Text Extremely Slow when run through Xming server

Hi,

I have an Ubuntu box (a modern fast quad-core machine) that I access from my Windows machine using Xming server.

I tried running Sublime Text, and everything to do with drawing is painfully slow. It takes 1.5-2 seconds to draw the screen,
there is massive lag when scrolling, and writing text is all but unusable, lagging behind several words.

Are there any settings I can tweak to make it usable, or is this kind of configuration not supported?

0 Likes

I am having the same issue lately. I’m running it on Windows 7. When I open task manager and look at processes it doesn’t appear that sublime is using a lot but when I look at performance the cpu is spiking at 100% just trying to type or open a small php script. Actually when I first open it, working fast like it used to all the time but if I leave it open for a while it will start crawling just like you describe.

The problem started about a week ago when I got some error from the package manager and unfortunately I don’t remember what it said because at the time I thought it was just a glitch. I don’t get the error any more but already dl’s the latest version and installed to see if it helped but the problem is still going on.

0 Likes

I think your problem is from using XMing. X11 is a very inefficient protocol for network transport.

I would try to setup an X11-to-VNC server on your Ubuntu box (help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC/Servers#x11vnc) and use VNC to connnect from Windows to Ubuntu. You should notice a huge performance difference if you do this. Also, VNC lets you adjust the number of colors and the type of compression used to keep bandwidth low.

0 Likes