Sublime Forum

Sublime Text Editor 3 Vulnerability

https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/139257/Sublime-Text-Editor-3-DLL-Hijacking.html

This site lists a vulnerability that has been present for some time. Are there any plans to patch it?

0 Likes

How is someone or something changing files on your computer Sublime’s problem?

1 Like

If someone can place bad DLLs without you knowing in your C:\program files\ folders you have bigger problems.

In fact, with pybind11 anyone can just write a Sublime plugin that interacts with compiled code.

I’d say be a responsible adult/developer and keep an eye on your filesystem.

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply. Are you one of the developers?

0 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion. Are you one of the developers?

0 Likes

The developers are @jps and @wbond.

0 Likes

While technically this can happen, the nature of Sublime Text means that Python packages can do pretty much anything the user has privileges for.

Generally the install directory is under UAC, which would prevent this. And packages are not, so from a threat perspective, this doesn’t seem like something worth spending time on.

0 Likes

Thank you for answering my question. Have a good evening.

0 Likes

I think the idea of a DLL hijack attack is that if the program loads DLLs from a user-writeable directory (ie., a location that you don’t need admin privileges to write to such as the current working directory), then malware can create compromised DLLs there in the hopes that the program will be run as admin at some point and those DLLs will have free reign.

The fix is to load DLLs only from system or program installation directories that require admin privilege to write to.

0 Likes