Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 4151 upgrade breaks the app on macOs 10.13.6

Sublime Text 4151 appears to no longer be compatible and work on Intel macOs 10.13.6:

• I just got the prompt to upgrade from 4143 to 4151 and I clicked “Install”.
  • After the upgrade, Sublime Text no longer functions correctly - it is missing (blank) menu items, and none of the menu items work - e.g. “About Sublime Text”, “File | Open…” do nothing.
  • I tried system restart, app re-install, but 4151 is not working at all.
  • Luckily I had a kept a copy of the 4143 installer. Re-installing 4143 got me back to a working system.

I tried the Sublime Text 4151 upgrade on Apple M1 macOS 13.4.1 and it works fine.

I know Intel macOs 10.13.6 is no longer supported by Apple, but I am stuck with it for legacy system maintenance.

The 4151 changelog does not appear to indicate any change in macOs version support.
If no longer supporting the older macOS versions is intended - perhaps it should be noted in the changelog (and is it possible to download older Sublime Text versions that are compatible?). Else is it possible to fix 4151 so that it does still work on older mac OS versions?

0 Likes

I can’t reproduce that on my end. Does it happen in safe mode?

0 Likes

yes, same behaviour in safe mode unfortunately.

Here’s a screen recording showing the 4143 v 4151 behaviour I’m seeing with/without safe mode: https://youtu.be/crdECWNr8rE

0 Likes

Could you try running the executable directly from a terminal and provide the output:

"/Applications/Sublime Text 4151 upgrade broken.app/Contents/MacOS/sublime_text" --multiinstance --debug
0 Likes

FWIW I can’t reproduce this on macOS 12.6 nor 10.15.

0 Likes

Here’s the output I get. Nothing else is logged when I try clicking on any menu items in sublime:

$ "/Applications/Sublime Text 4151 upgrade broken.app/Contents/MacOS/sublime_text" --multiinstance --debug
:0                                                                startup, version: 4151 osx x64 channel: stable
:0                                                                executable: /Applications/Sublime Text 4151 upgrade broken.app/Contents/MacOS/sublime_text
:0                                                                application: /Applications/Sublime Text 4151 upgrade broken.app
:0                                                                working dir: /Users/paulgallagher/MyGithub
:0                                                                packages path: /Users/paulgallagher/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text/Packages
:0                                                                state path: /Users/paulgallagher/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text/Local
:0                                                                ignored_packages: ["Vintage"]
:0                                                                zip path: /Applications/Sublime Text 4151 upgrade broken.app/Contents/MacOS/Packages
:0                                                                zip path: /Users/paulgallagher/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text/Installed Packages
:0                                                                generating syntax summary
:0                                                                generating meta info summary
2023-08-02 13:59:26.885 sublime_text[4460:67724] -[PXApplication effectiveAppearance]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fcac8d055c0
0 Likes

2023-08-02 13:59:26.885 sublime_text[4460:67724] -[PXApplication effectiveAppearance]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fcac8d055c0

That’s likely the cause, though I don’t see how that’s possible. The only place we use effectiveAppearance we check for macOS 10.14 and that’s been there since build 4108. Maybe you’ve got some 3rd party app interfering, like an anti-virus?

0 Likes

Sublime Text 4151 - can't open old projects

We have made a hotfix build, can you or anyone else having the same issue please check if it works: https://download.sublimetext.com/sublime_text_build_4152_mac.zip

0 Likes

Thanks, 4152 fixes the issue on intel macOS 10.13.6

0 Likes

4152 immediately crashes for me on Mac OS 12.6.7. Safe mode starts up. I don’t have an installer for 4143 and I can’t find a download for it. I need to get back to work!

Edit: 4150 seems to act the same. No crash report for either build. Just closes down once the release notes come up.

Edit 2: Removing the .sublime_session files from the ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text/Local directory appears to have me working again for now.

0 Likes

For future reference, all versions are available by just changing the build number in the download link to the one that you want; there is also a form on the following page that lets you generate the download links for any particular version directly:

https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/previous_versions.html

0 Likes

Windows 10, Crash after startup - how to downgrade?