Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 is only responsive for a few seconds at a time

Hi all,
Long time user of Sublime Text. However, I’m suddenly having an issue with it that I can’t seem to resolve.

I’m now having an issue where Sublime will only be responsive for a few seconds at a time. Then it’ll 100% lock up for a few seconds. I can’t type into it, I can’t select menus, files, etc. If I try to drag and move the Sublime window, nothing will happen.
Then it’ll suddenly become responsive again and work perfectly for a few seconds. When it’s usable, there’s no lag at all and it’s completely back to normal. Then a few seconds later, it completely locks up again. Basically, it’ll only accept user input in small bursts.
Usable, locked up, usable, locked up, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I’ve tried restarting my computer and nothing.
I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled it. I’m now on Build 4152.
I’ve uninstalled it, deleted the install folder (some files were left), and then reinstalled it.

Nothing is resolving this.

It came out of nowhere about two days ago while I was working, and I can’t get it to resolve.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I’m not even sure what to try next.
Thank you

0 Likes

Uninstalling and reinstalling will not help; if there is an issue it’s most likely associated with the configuration you have (e.g. errant package being a jerk) or something about your local Session (e.g. having a folder open that contains files that are rapidly changing from an outside source causing constant scanning or such).

As a first step, launch Sublime in Safe Mode and see if the problem persists; if it does, then something is at issue with the System or actual install. If it does not, then the issue is with your config.

If it’s the latter, the next thing to check would be if the issue persists even if the only window you have open is an empty window, or if it only happens in particular circumstances (like when you are working on a specific project or something) to help narrow down the possible vectors for trouble.

0 Likes

Thank you for the quick response.

I opened it in Safe Mode and it seems like the issue is gone.

I’ve tried opening a blank Sublime window that isn’t pointing to any folder (in non-Safe Mode) and the issue persists. So it isn’t a folder that it’s pointed to as far as I can tell. The only folders I’ve worked on are the ones I’ve been working on for a year or more with Sublime. The environment has changed very little, if at all.
Otherwise, I haven’t changed any configurations, plugins, etc. in months or more on Sublime itself.
Not sure what might’ve happened to change it.

I would imagine I would need to clean out the registry of Sublime to undo the configurations? Or is there a different method to possibly track down what’s causing this?

Thanks again

0 Likes

Tools > Developer > Profile Plugins may help show if a plugin is causing the lockup.

0 Likes

Thank you for the idea. I was unaware of that view.
Unfortunately, it looks like the longest time anything took was 0.012s

This list shows how much time each plugin has taken to respond to each event:

on_activated:
    Default.history_list: 0.001s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.001s
    TypeScript.typescript.listeners.listeners: 0.000s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.000s

on_close:
    TypeScript.typescript.listeners.listeners: 0.000s total

on_hover:
    Default.symbol: 0.000s total
    TypeScript.typescript.listeners.listeners: 0.001s total

on_modified:
    Default.history_list: 0.006s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.002s
    TypeScript.typescript.listeners.listeners: 0.012s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.001s

on_post_text_command:
    Default.history_list: 0.000s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.000s
    Default.paste_from_history: 0.000s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.000s
    TypeScript.typescript.listeners.listeners: 0.000s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.000s

on_pre_close:
    Default.history_list: 0.000s total

on_selection_modified:
    Default.history_list: 0.004s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.001s
    TypeScript.typescript.listeners.listeners: 0.001s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.001s

on_text_command:
    Default.history_list: 0.000s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.000s

on_window_command:
    Default.history_list: 0.000s total
    TypeScript.typescript.listeners.listeners: 0.000s total
0 Likes

Do you see any errors or extraneous logging in the console (View > Show Console)?

0 Likes

Sorry for the late reply.

No, there isn’t anything in the console showing any errors at all.

However, I have been using Sublime in SAFE MODE for a few days now because it at least lets me get some work done. It’s been good for a few days, but suddenly started having the same behavior with the long delays in responsiveness.

Here is the plugin profiling again, as it does show some delays this time. I don’t know what this means though. Any guidance?

This list shows how much time each plugin has taken to respond to each event:

on_activated:
    Default.history_list: 1.807s total, mean: 0.001s, max: 0.287s

on_hover:
    Default.symbol: 3.839s total, mean: 0.001s, max: 0.136s

on_load:
    Default.exec: 0.124s total, mean: 0.001s, max: 0.017s

on_modified:
    Default.history_list: 1.693s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.015s

on_post_text_command:
    Default.history_list: 4.306s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.617s
    Default.paste_from_history: 1.841s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.202s

on_pre_close:
    Default.history_list: 0.044s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.002s

on_query_completions:
    CSS.css_completions: 0.177s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.002s
    HTML.html_completions: 0.084s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.002s

on_query_context:
    Default.block: 0.023s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.002s

on_selection_modified:
    Default.history_list: 14.816s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.378s

on_text_command:
    Default.history_list: 0.843s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.006s

on_window_command:
    Default.history_list: 0.059s total, mean: 0.000s, max: 0.002s
0 Likes

Nothing jumps out at me from those. Default.history_list is the worst one, but the mean is small and the maximum is 0.6s which doesn’t sound like what you described.

Have you opened any particularly large folders - like your home folder - in the sidebar? Are you using a networked file system? It may help to have a recording of the behavior, would you be willing/able to provide that (you can send it to me directly bschaaf@sublimetext.com)?

0 Likes

Here is a video of the behavior.

0 Likes

How large is that Kordata folder (how many files/folders)? If you open up task manager is Sublime Text using lots of CPU time?

0 Likes

That folder is about 4500 files. I’ve had other folders open that have had many more files. Sometimes for days/weeks on end without issues.

When it’s working correctly, Sublime Text bounced around 3 - 5% of my CPU usage. Total CPU usage is around 40 - 70%, depending on what I’m doing. But once this starts up, it jumps up to around 12 - 20% of my CPU usage.

0 Likes

Is that 12-20% on a single core, or across the whole CPU? What’s the single-core usage?

0 Likes