Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 and 4 Slow Text-typing, Linux SSH from VM

Hi,

I’m experiencing an incredibly weird instance/issue of slow-typing in both Sublime Text 3 (ST3) and 4 (ST4). Can anyone help resolve/debug this?

Typing any text results in noticeable delays without obviously discernible pattern to me.

In ST3, slow-typing occurs when I’m off-project primarily. I tried going into one of my projects/workspace (project A) and the slow-typing resolved itself. Trying to move to another, specific project (say project B) the slow-typing resurfaces. I attempted to move to various projects (C, D, E, F, …), and similar occurs–some projects “resolve” the issue, while some “retains”.

ST4 would behave similarly but would “resolve”/“retain” on a different combination of projects vs. ST3.

ST3 attempted solutions:

• Disabling all installed packages: no apparent effect.
  • Text-size resizing: no apparent effect.

ST4:

• Safe-mode: no apparent effect
  • Disabling all installed packages: no apparent effect.
  • Force-turn-off hardware-acceleration (inside User settings): no apparent effect.
  • Text-resizing: no apparent effect.

Versions:

• ST3: linux x64 stable, ver 3211
  • ST4: linux x64 stable, ver 4143

Environment:
Win10 > VMWare Horizon > Win10 (VM) > MobaXTerm > SSH > ST3 (or ST4)

Thank you in advance for any help!

0 Likes

You say you’re using SSH, does that mean you’re using X forwarding?

0 Likes

I believe so? The X11-forwarding seems to be turned on in the MobaXTerm’s SSH settings.

Other “Advanced SSH settings” that’s turned on include compression, “SFTP protocol” SSH browser type, and “interactive shell” remote environment.

0 Likes

The slow typing is almost certainly due to your setup - X-forwarding is known to be slow with ST and you’re also going through a Windows VM and possibly the internet. A likely factor is the size of the text area or size of the window.

0 Likes

I see…

If it’s due to setup, wouldn’t the slow-typing/input-lag be consistent across any project/workspace…? This is not what I’m experiencing–some projects I’m in have slow-typing while others don’t. The “size” of the project also doesn’t appear to be a contributing factor…?

0 Likes

Have you tried making the window smaller?

0 Likes

Have not–but I tried it just now per your suggestion and it definitely fixes it… o-o

I also tried resizing the text sizes to be bigger and this doesn’t seem to have any effect.

I’m assuming this is a very tell-tale sign of the X-forwarding problem?

0 Likes

Yes; in a nutshell having the app running remotely and displaying on your machine locally via X forwarding requires it to ship the full display across the forwarded port for all updates.

So, smaller window == less data to ship over.

0 Likes

I see.

Would you have any recommended suggestion on how to adress it (is it just deactivating the X-forwarding)?

0 Likes

Remote desktop software usually has better performance than X-forwarding and would also let you skip the VM.

0 Likes

Thanks for all the help!

Hopefully this would be an acceptable solution for my workplace.

0 Likes