Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 3 always asking me to update but I get an error when I try to update

I’m wondering if other people have this issue. For a long time now, Sublime Text has been asking me, saying that there’s an update available. When I try to download the update, it always fails, saying “Unable to launch update installer.” Even I just try downloading the latest version of Sublime Text from the website and installing it, sometime later I will encounter the message again about an update available to download. And not only that, but the message is always popping under the “update available” window, which means I can’t see the contents of that window unless I scroll to the window in my taskbar, which means it’s a mildly annoying bug.

Can somebody please tell me what the hell is going on here and how to fix this?

1 Like

Which OS/version are you using?

0 Likes

Windows 10 Home Single Language build 1909.

0 Likes

Hey, did you get any solution?
I have a similar issue: I just installed ST from the latest installer from the website and immediately after launching it it tells me there’s a new update, but then throws an error saying it cannot download the update. Kind of annoying.

0 Likes

Do you have an antivirus or similar? Are you able to access download.sublimetext.com?

0 Likes

Yes, I do (both for anti-virus & for the dowload page, although it says file not found). Never had a problem like this before. Just installed ST4 and that fixed it

0 Likes

same issue

And I am actually already on latest build 3211

0 Likes

I just solved this by installing Sublime Text 4 and uninstalling Sublime Text 3. Updates are no longer available for Sublime Text 3. (Windows 10)

(Just noticed this solution was previously posted November 1st but since I somehow overlooked it, here it is again.)

0 Likes