Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 2 for Macbook Air M2 (2022)

I just upgraded my old Mac to a Macbook Air M2. Sublime Text 2 no longer works for me. I tried checking this forum to see if there were any topics related to this, but I don’t see any.

OSX returns “Sublime Text 2 quit unexpectedly” and the crash report contains the following excerpt:

Termination Reason:    Namespace DYLD, Code 1 Library missing
Library not loaded: '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python'
Referenced from: '/Applications/Sublime Text 2.app/Contents/MacOS/Sublime Text 2'
Reason: tried: '/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Python' (no such file), '' (no such file)
(terminated at launch; ignore backtrace)

I am not familiar enough with Sublime or OSX to debug this myself. Advice is appreciated.

Sublime Text 3 and 4 do work for me, however, I would prefer not to shell out another $90 for software I am already pretty happy with (provided I can get it to work). If I am simply out of luck and it is time to pay my dues again, I suppose that is an option.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

All else being equal, unfortunately you are indeed almost certainly out of luck.

ST2 hasn’t been actively supported in almost a decade at this point, and apart from anything else back then it used the system version of Python for its plugins, and that version is no longer bundled with MacOS (which is the gist of the error you’re seeing above).

This crops up from time to time but to my knowledge nobody has actually gotten it to work on newer MacOS versions.

You may possibly be eligible for an upgrade discount of some sort, though I don’t know offhand how much that would be.

0 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate your time and your thorough response.

Well, that is too bad for me. I had been able to keep my Sublime Text 2 working all the way up to my last x86 Mac but maybe this time is just the nail in the coffin. I guess my code editor of choice is aging as fast as I am …

The upgrade I believe is $90, sort of expensive. But probably worth it as I really like Sublime.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

You can see our upgrade pricing here: https://www.sublimehq.com/store/upgrade

0 Likes

I like ST3 (sorry ST(4)), I’m guessing you could install that, plus you’ve got the try out period.

You might be able to re-install and old version of python2 but I don’t have any real knowledge of apple systems.

(Personally I’m anti-bleeding edge for lots of reasons, most tech is way more powerful than most folks need: I’ve got a 32 bit 4 core machine and it’ll run threaded C++ apps, run several instances of ST3 and firefox with about 20 tabs open simultaneously. It’s nearly 15 years old. (Though when my Mandelbrot Set Explorer is running it doubles as a good heater in the winter).

However technology/software marches on whether we want it to or not…Sigh
(Actually I don’t mind it marching on, it’s just the rate, and the thoughtlessness of the waste generation that bugs me)

Sorry I’ve not answered your question, I’m putting off some serious debugging…:joy:

0 Likes