Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 2 EOL?

When will Sublime Text 2 EOL, I see the last release was done in 2013 in that series. Do I as a developer need to decide between 2 or 3 OR shall I always assume ‘latest is greatest’ ?

Is there a End of Life planned for version 2 ?

0 Likes

I recommend to use ST3 if you don’t have very good reasons to use ST2. It is faster, has more features, and is also more stable. In addition a lot of big packages already dropped support for ST2, so it will be hard if you want to use more than only the built-in features.

0 Likes

Sublime Text 2 is definitely EOL. Apple removed Python 2.6 from High Sierra, so there is no way for it to work reliably there. There are so many ways in which ST3 is significantly superior to ST2 that I probably couldn’t list them off of the top of my head.

There have been a bunch of improvements in the current dev cycle, but to see some of the differences between 2 and 3.0, go to https://www.sublimetext.com/2to3.

Many plugins are also dropping ST2 support. Likely Package Control will be dropping support for ST2 in the near future. Last fall when I checked, over 95% of PC users were on ST3.

2 Likes

@wbond is there any specific reason for it still being an option to download on the website ?

0 Likes

If someone has paid for a license, there is no reason to not allow it to be downloaded, is there?

4 Likes