Sublime Forum

Sublime Slow When Doing File Operations

In the sidebar, when I use “New File”, “New Folder”, or “Rename” or other similar operations, the entire application freezes for approx 30 seconds to one minute.

This is new behavior and didn’t use to happen for the last 3 years. It’s been very noticable for the last few weeks. I’m not sure if it’s related to the recent build or not.

I’m running CentOS Linux 7

0 Likes

Have you tried reverting to a freshly installed state? https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html

0 Likes

I cleared the whole index and session files. I have not tried removing all my packages yet. I could do that test but that would be really disruptive to my workflow (obviously)

0 Likes

You can try using the portable version if you don’t want to edit anything on disk

0 Likes

I’m using Linux so there is no portable version.

That said, I moved my whole ~/.config/sublime-text-3 directory out of the way and started fresh, and indeed the problem is not evident.

Alas, the issue must be coming from some package that is installed.

Now, i’ll have to go through them one at a time to figure it out.

I’ll revert here when and if I figure it out.

0 Likes

Its SideBarEnhancements

0 Likes

Glad you got your problem sorted out! It’s probably only of academic interest at this point, but it is indeed possible to have a portable version of Sublime on Linux (and MacOS), there just isn’t a readily downloadable version available for download.

0 Likes

Useful knowledge!
Does the directory have to be called exactly ‘Data’ ?

0 Likes

Yes, the case is important in this case (on Linux).

I believe it comes down to the case sensitivity of the file system, so on Linux the case of the file needs to be Data but on Windows and MacOS it’s less important. Presumably if you were using a case sensitive file system on MacOS it would have to be exact there as well, but the last time I checked even Apple discourages you from doing that because so many things will break. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Just a note about reverting sublime, renaming the data directory (e.g adding a leading underscore) is arguably a better way (i.e faster) than moving the whole directory (twice).

0 Likes