Sublime Forum

Sublime performance with huge files

So I realize this is a very specific situation but, here I am/was. I work for a civil engineering firm and my boss relies HEAVILY upon Google Earth. GE generates KML files with are basically XML code, and he ran into an issue opening a file yesterday that contained roughly 6.8M lines… the file was about 450MB.
So opening the file was pretty snappy considering, and while the application has the forefront focus it’s very performant. However when you alt-tab then come back the app can take upwards of 8 seconds to become responsive. This is on a Ryzen 2700X, m.2 NVME and 32gigs of ram… so I’m not using a weak rig here.
I’m only posting to wonder if there are any performance related tweaks for the application that could alleviate this latency? It’s not a huge thing, nor is it a deal killer by any means. Hell, Atom crashed opening the file so Sublimes is number 1 in my book!

0 Likes

Disabling syntax highlighting might help (select plain text)

0 Likes

disable line wrapping may help too if there are some long lines.

0 Likes

I’ll try those suggestions and see.

Something I forgot to mention too was that Code folding didn’t quite work. Folding all did…something but definitely did not fold all levels.

0 Likes

Is this file intended to be read by SublimeText? If not then "file_exclude_patterns" in your ST preferences settings can be used to hide the file for you withing SublimeText.

If it is then a file of that size is preferably to be read / edited programatically.

0 Likes