Sublime Forum

Sublime - Option to NOT replace file type icons

I apologize for the rant, but I do not understand why Sublime replaces the file type icon for every supported file type with the SAME icon; it destroys readability in Finder. I’ve tried following macOS guides on how to customize the icon per file type, but I cannot seem to get it working.

Please consider adding an option or something to preserve the system default icon. I know on macOS, there’s an icon for the common file types, so it should be possible to leverage them.

0 Likes

Sublime Text 3 doesn’t have any file icons beyond one for the application itself.

0 Likes

I get that, but other apps are able to have type-specific icons, and macos has default icons for many common types. So I don’t get why Sublime team didn’t configure Info.plist to use built-in icons.

0 Likes

It’s using the default icons for me. Are you sure it’s Sublime Text overriding your icons?

0 Likes

Are you on Catalina? It seems like Catalina generates the icon by overlaying the app’s icon (scaled down) on top of the ‘blank paper’ icon. I have a couple other apps that do this too, while others have a proper file icon.

0 Likes

Looks like things changed in Catalina (fixed in Big Sur):

1 Like

I have the same situation. I haven’t figured it out yet.

UPD: The solution to the problem was quite simple - https://softorino.com/folder-colorizer-mac/

0 Likes