Sublime Forum

[Sublime Merge] Requests on Behalf of Michael Tsai

Hello Sublime Community,

I found out about Sublime Merge via this link and a post on HN.

In the former link, the author says:

I found that the diff viewer does not wrap long lines, making it unusable for certain types of files (such as .strings). I also really missed Tower’s way of having a separate list to manage the staged files, rather than showing the hunks and the files together.

… The main thing it doesn’t seem to do is full text search.

I don’t do much with Git personally, so hopefully this feedback is helpful in some way.

Cheers!

0 Likes

I also really missed Tower’s way of having a separate list to manage the staged files, rather than showing the hunks and the files together.

:+1:

Yep, the mix of content and files gets quickly overwhelming with bigger changes. Sometimes it is even not necessary to see the diffs of each file. I prefer the clear structure of two lists with “working directory changes” and a “staging area” with a dedicated window for diffs as well. I got used to it when working with GitExtensions on Windows and still find it more productive then SM’s mixup, which requires more scrolling and searching then necessary in most scenarios, especially as the staging area and working directory are not in sight at a glance.

0 Likes

FYI We currently have an internal prototype where the there’s an optional extra column listing the file names for a diff or the commit dialog (replacing the ability to expand a commit to show files in the commit graph). I expect this will appear in a dev build in the not too distant future.

0 Likes

With regards to the initial post, Dev Build 1080 will do full text search now.

1 Like

Here is his feedback for Sublime Merge 2:

Good:

I love how fast this app is and the way it shows diffs with intra-line changes, syntax coloring/styles (albeit not for Swift), and the name of the modified function. I use it sometimes for searching and browsing a file’s history.

Bad:

But I haven’t been able to get used to it for regular daily Git use. The keyboard navigation between and within panes is weird. I can’t batch-select uncommitted files. Page Up/Down doesn’t work in the diff pane.

0 Likes

For reference, here are some related bug reports for this:

0 Likes