Sublime Forum

Sublime Merge - Rename files/folders

How do I go about renaming a file or folder through sublime merge? I know I can do it with git bash or something else, but I’d like to try and learn how to do everything through sublime merge.

1 Like

Remember that Git doesn’t track renames, it just infers them on an as-needed basis. Sublime Merge works the same way.

The general process is to rename the file as you normally would (e.g., through Explorer, Finder or a terminal). Sublime Merge will now show a deleted file (the old name) and an untracked file (the new name). Stage both of these, and Sublime Merge will detect that a rename has occurred, and show a renamed file under Staged Files. Note that this in exactly the same workflow as using git from the terminal.

There is a ‘git mv old_name new_name’ command via the terminal, but that’s just an alias for doing the above: renaming the file, and then staging the old and new names. I imagine we’ll add a Command Palette equivalent for doing this, but it’s not there right now.

7 Likes

Is it possible to collapse the two different stage commands into one “stage rename”? For first time users, the implied behaviour is that when I stage the delete and stage the add it will look like that in the history (thus losing the previous history of the renamed file).

I was reverting to the console each time because I just assumed Sublime Merge didn’t track renames at all :slight_smile:

0 Likes