Sublime Forum

Sublime merge question

When launching sublime merge the first thing it asks you to do is specify a repository.

What if there is no repository at all?
What if all you want to do is compare two files on your file system where no version control is involved?

0 Likes

Sublime Merge is a git client and currently doesn’t have the ability to compare arbitrary files against each other.

0 Likes

I only just realised that this is the first hg/git GUI I’ve ever used or tried and almost immediately thought “wow I need to use this instead of kdiff3”. TortoiseHg, gitk, tig and whatnot never made me think they might work well for just diff/merge of random files. Perhaps it’s the name, perhaps it’s the visual style. I like and trust kdiff3, but it’s time for something prettier.

0 Likes

You are probably confusing the program with the SublimeText Plugin Sublimerge: The professional diff and merge tool for Sublime Text
https://www.sublimerge.com

0 Likes

Sublime Merge and Sublimerge are indeed two different things. I own and use both of them, so I’m aware of the differences. :slight_smile:

If you read the OP closely:

You don’t “launch” Sublimerge because it’s a package for Sublime Text, and it most certainly does not ask you to open a repository when you launch it; you launch it by telling it what it should be diffing together.

0 Likes

My message was addressed to mark4 and not to you OdatNurd. I just wanted to support your 1st statement and point out to mark4 that he probably means sublimerge, because this plugin does exactly what he wants. Because Sublime Merge is like you wrote a Git client.

0 Likes

Ahh; your reply was to my response and not to him so I got confused; sorry for the noise. :slight_smile:

0 Likes