Sublime Forum

Sublime Merge ignores remote branch on push

Hi, so I have been using GitKraken for years with a specific setup.
I have a local branch called production on my machine which is linked to a remote git remote. And when I am ready to publicize something I will fast-forward my production branch to master.

However Sublime Merge doesn’t respect my settings and instead creates a branch called “production” (my local branch) on the remote called “production”.

In Sublime Merge I set my upstream by right clicking on my local “production” branch. Click set upstream and set it to the following:

refs/remotes/production/master

Sublime Merge says this is ok!

Branch ‘production’ set up to track remote branch ‘master’ from ‘production’.

I press push.

git push production production

I realize that I can press the arrow next to the push button to set options… but it doesn’t let me change production/production to production/master.

If it wasn’t for this issue I could actually switch to Sublime, but as is, it breaks my workflow entirely.

0 Likes

Hi @Infinity,

Thank you for sharing this feedback!
The workflow you mentioned is definitely possible in Sublime Merge.

You’ll want to set the git config value push.default to upstream

You can do this by running the git command git config push.default upstream via the terminal in the repository folder.

Once this is set, Git will automatically push branches to the configured upstream branch.

Note: there is currently a bug where Sublime Merge will still display Push production production/production in the advanced push menu even when push.default upstream is set. This is visual only, and the correct behavior will still occur. We will be addressing this bug shortly.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
- Dylan

0 Likes

Thanks. When this bug is sorted I’ll be sure to buy a license for dark mode. :slight_smile: GitKraken has served me well but with big repositories it is starting to show it’s weakness where I found that Sublime Merge seems to perform well.

0 Likes