Sublime Forum

Sublime FTPS to Linux server fail FileZilla no problem

Hi,

Try to connect to my Linux server with ftps, but keep on getting the message:
Active mode error please set: “ftp_passive_mode”: true, despite the fact that it is set on true.

I also tried to set: “linux_enable_ssl”: true in the SFTP.sublime-settings, but is doesn’t change the situation.

It only works with ftp for now.

When I try to connect with FTPS in FileZilla it works without any problem after saying OK to use the unknown certificate.

Hope someone knows a solution.

Regards & Thanks,

David

0 Likes

Is your server set to require SSL session reuse? If so, unfortunately the Python ssl module doesn’t support this. I’ve been working on a new TLS library for Python to address the issue, but it isn’t ready to roll out into the SFTP package yet.

You can contact support@wbond.net with a debug log (https://wbond.net/sublime_packages/sftp/support#Generating_a_Debug_Log) if you want to double-check and see if there may be something else going on.

1 Like

Thanks Will! I’ve send you the bug report the day before yesterday, but no reply. Hope it’s solved soon. About require SSL session reuse how can I test if this is the case?
Regards,
David

2018-05-23 12:22:30

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/ftp_transport.py”, line 208, in handle_ftp_error
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/ftp_transport.py”, line 830, in do_put
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/ftplib2.py”, line 948, in storbinary
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/ftplib2.py”, line 333, in voidresp
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/ftplib2.py”, line 326, in getresp
SFTP.sftp.ftplib2.error_temp: 425 Unable to build data connection: Operation not permitted

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/threads.py”, line 16, in run_with_except_hook
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/threads.py”, line 119, in handler
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/commands.py”, line 355, in run
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/commands.py”, line 510, in do_operation
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/file_transfer.py”, line 47, in handler
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/ftp_transport.py”, line 866, in put
File “/Users/wbond/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/SFTP/sftp/ftp_transport.py”, line 361, in handle_ftp_error
SFTP.sftp.errors.ConnectionError: Active mode error, please set ftp_passive_mode to true in sftp-config.json

1 Like

It would seem SSL session reuse is the issue, based on your error message: https://www.ateamsystems.com/tech-blog/fireftp-proftpd-unable-to-build-data-connection-operation-not-permitted-tls-negotiation/

I’ve been working on the TLS library (https://github.com/wbond/oscrypto) for a couple of years, but it isn’t a quick process. My hope would be sometime in the next few months, but it really depends on more testing of the library to make sure it is relatively stable. Currently I don’t know of any wide-scale deployments, but it should be part of the next release of Package Control. That should help test it in regards to timeouts, handshake errors and other connection-related behavior.

1 Like

Thanks Will! Your suggestion to add: “TLSOptions NoSessionReuseRequired” to proftpd.conf and restart ProFTPd on the FTP server did the job!
Regards,
David

1 Like