Sublime Forum

Sublime conversion guide (from other IDEs)

Is there a guide I can follow that maps features from other IDEs, Komodo IDE in my case, to Sublime?

I like the speed of Sublime out of the box, ridiculously fast compared to Komodo. Sublime looks pretty good stock as well, but I would like to bridge the gaps in functionality, but can’t spend days of work time fiddling with it.

Any tips appreciated, thanks!

1 Like

Sublime Text versus Visual Studio Code in 2019

I don’t know any for coming from Komodo.
The important question are which languages do you want to work with and which Version control?

I saw several tutorials like “setting up Sublime as a Python IDE” or “Sublime as a web developer IDE”, … I guess I could find them back if you’re interested.

If you haven’t installed Package Control do it, and then look at all the plugin available :smiley:

0 Likes

As asked, to know what language you want to program is necessary to install the correct packages plugins.
If you just started, you could install my settings. https://github.com/evandrocoan/SublimeTextStudio#installation
This settings mime, need some fixes as:

1. I never got that DocBlockr package working. I need to get into it to know why and what is happening.
  2. I also do not like mime ctrl+d shortcut selecting not the whole word some times. I need to see what is going exactly.
  3. I need to improve/complete the Notepad++ syntax theme I am developing. I get to like the Notepad++ highlight, so when I first got on Sublime Text I start writing one.
  4. I need to find all shortcut conflicts within sublime. I think there are, as the User shortcut files is big.
  5. To let other people use my settings, I need to provide a guide to they know what they can or cannot do currently. But for shorthand now you may press ctrl+shift+p and start typing things you like:

Imgur

I just started using sublime as you also. I am almost two months gathering plugins/packages, settings things up.
I came to Sublime due its speed and flexibility. At the beginning, I was just programming on C++, Java SE, then Eclipse, Netbeans, JetBrains IDE’s and VisualStudio were very good to go. However, I started programming on more, and more languages each day, so I got on a midlife crisis point, because I need something fast and powerful to all languages, not just C++/Java. So, I started using Notepad++ for a long time. But long after I got tired from its project management, then I started looking out for other as Atom and Komodo. But none of them was good enough as Sublime Text. Now for some tasks I still using Notepad++ because Sublime just cannot handle them as its not handy search box:

My screen is very large, that search Sublime thing on the page’s bottom does not help. I need something to move around as I want to, like the Notepad++ search box. May be I can write a C++ program to run/be a Search Box like the Notepad++'s one. But for now I am sticking within the others boring things to be fixed as the DocBlockr package.

#Project management
There is also something wonderful I would like to talk about. It is the Sublime Text project management:

#Its build system
It is pretty handy:

Its build system

#Symbols Navigating Pawn
Symbols Navigating Pawn

#Symbols Navigating C++
Symbols Navigating C++

#Side Bar Navigating
Side Bar Navigating

#Finally
What I hate most on eclipse was on every new release I got to manually reinstall all my plugins. But with Sublime Text I can apply a versioning system as git on them. So everywhere I go, I just need to go to my GitHub webpage, copy the two commands I need and all my settings and plugins as installed within a matter of some minutes.

3 Likes

I did pull in some settings from a couple google sources here is what I have so far. I really like having two guides at the same time for 80 and 120.

{
“bold_folder_labels”: true,
“color_scheme”: “Packages/Color Scheme - Default/Monokai.tmTheme”,
“fade_fold_buttons”: false,
“highlight_line”: true,
“line_padding_bottom”: 1,
“line_padding_top”: 1,
“rulers”:
[
],
“word_wrap”: “false”
}

Languages I’m using currently php, javascript (working nicely with jquery and angular is a bonus), html, css, python, and whatever yaml falls under.

The dragging a folder to create a project is a little bit awkward I felt, but I can work with it. I’m not sure how to save project specific settings as of yet which can be pretty relevant. I work with many different projects over all and probably at least a dozen a day.

I’m missing the indent behavior with html. It seems to know which tag is being closed, but does not match it indent wise. Not a huge deal.

I have not yet setup versions control, but we use git. I probably wouldn’t take action inside Sublime (mostly I use GitKraken), but maybe, I would like Sublime to show the versioned status of individual files though.

0 Likes

I’m missing is the ability to see what files have uncommitted changes. I’ve got Git and GitGutter installed, it seems like maybe Sublime doesn’t have a way to show uncommitted changes at a file level?

0 Likes

ctrl+shift+p and git status or git diff all is not want you want to?

0 Likes

I installed git status I didn’t notice any difference. git diff all I couldn’t find.

I’m looking to have the file list on the left to in some way indicate the status of the file.

0 Likes

The git packages for sublime are mostly a wrapper for the git functionality provided by the command line git tool. If you were on a git console, how would you do that?

When I do git status on Sublime, I got the modified file list.

The same thing outputed by the git console application:

You are looking to know whether the file is modified on git? Then you may see for the current file on the status bar. For all files list, you may see the above posts. If the command is not appearing may be you do not installed the right package. There are some git packages out there. If I recall correctly, I only find out one of them to work right.

0 Likes

I understand that it can be done with the command line and you can create command line like output for Sublime, but that’s not what I’m looking for.

I’m coming from Komodo IDE where the git status is integrated into the file listing, it’s just one of the features I’m looking for an equivalent of. As soon as a file has uncommitted changes the color of the file name changes in the files listing and the tab as well if you happen to have the file open.

0 Likes

Currently there is no API available for the sidebar, so it is not possible for packages to modify the file tree with extra information/style.

0 Likes

Thanks wbond. It’s not a deal breaker but it is nice information to have always present at a glance. Maybe in a future version they’ll add the option.

Is there a way to get closing html tags to indent to the matching level automatically.

0 Likes