Sublime Forum

Sublime confuses backtick and single quote keyboard shortcuts

This is an old problem but it’s been more irritating recently. It seems that Sublime can’t differentiate keyboard shortcuts involving backticks from those involving single quotes. Using FindKeyConflicts (FKK) to confirm keys that should be bound to actions, here’s what I’m seeing:

• Pressing ctrl+` or ctrl+' brings up the Sublime console, even though FKK reports that ctrl+' is bound to emmet.encode_decode_data_url
  • According to FKK ctrl+shift+' is bound to emmet.rename_tag but instead runs emmet.split_join_tag which is bound to ctrl+shift+`

Using Windows 7 x64, UK English with English keyboard (no super/windows keys).

Edit… It gets weirder - by accident I discovered that ctrl+chift+# runs emmet.rename_tag even though it’s bound as above. What’s going on?

0 Likes

sublime.log_input(True) may help

but I remember that before Will fixed Ctrl+` on UK keyboards, I found that Ctrl+’ worked. I guess it comes down to ST’s lack of non-US keyboard support.

0 Likes

Yes, that was my first port of call. But sublime.log_input(True) just shows the commands that are being run, ie. those mapped to the incorrect keys. Strangely, when editing Sublime obviously knows the difference between backticks and normal quotes. It just doesn’t seem to know the difference when decoding keycodes for the purposes of keyboard shortcuts. This really ought to be fixed.

0 Likes

I’ll dig out my UK keyboard sometime soon and figure out what is going on here.

0 Likes