Sublime Forum

Sublime Beginner coming from Emacs

Hello!
I just recently discovered Sublime, and was amazed by its speed. I am an old-time Emacs user and would like to slowly make the transition to Sublime. Ideally, I would like to learn the sublime alternative of doing things, and would like to avoid downloading an Emacs keymap. I was hoping those here that have successfully made the transition can help me. Here’s some Emacs dances that I am having trouble learning in Sublime:

1. Navigating around Structured Data:
    I write a lot of Lisp code, and am looking for replacements for the following:
    Ctrl+Meta+f : Brings the cursor to the end of the next bracket group.
    Ctrl+Meta+b : Brings the cursor to the beginning of the previous bracket group.
    Ctrl+Space (possibly repeatedly) : Incrementally selects the next bracket groups.

2. Making complex selections without the Mark:
    Consider the following text:
    blah blah blah BEGIN blah blah blah END blah blah END blah blah blah
    And I would like to select everything after the first BEGIN, and before the second END.

In Emacs the steps I follow is:
a. Search for BEGIN
b. Ctrl+Space to place the mark
c. Search for END
d. Search again to find second END

Thanks very much for your help. I am very impressed with the rest of Sublime and would like to switch over soon. The previous two patterns are the ones I find I miss the most, and is responsible for most of the current productivity gain I lose in Sublime versus in Emacs.

-Patrick

0 Likes

as to first point i dont know about this built-in (apart from ctrl-m shortcut which goes to matching bracket) but it sounds like it could be easily implemented as a plugin.

as to second you can use the regex enabled search in sublime and just search for BEGIN.*END

0 Likes

For you second point it is available: ctrl+k,ctrl+space place the mark and ctrl+k,ctrl+a select from cursor to the mark.

For this kind of stuff I find the plugin selectuntil very useful (available in package control)

0 Likes

Hi Clams.
Thanks for the tip! I couldn’t quite get it to work however. I have tried combinations of command, and ctrl. I’m using Sublime 2. Is this a feature of Sublime 3?
-Patrick

0 Likes

Yes it might be ST3 only. If you have a license for ST2, you can use the ST3 beta (sublimetext.com/3) : the beta is misleading, the application is very stable.

0 Likes

[quote=“CuppoJava”]Hello!
I just recently discovered Sublime, and was amazed by its speed. I am an old-time Emacs user and would like to slowly make the transition to Sublime.

Thanks very much for your help. I am very impressed with the rest of Sublime and would like to switch over soon. The previous two patterns are the ones I find I miss the most, and is responsible for most of the current productivity gain I lose in Sublime versus in Emacs.

[/quote]

Most of what you want do do can be accomplished easily enough if you use the vintageous plugin...
0 Likes