Sublime Forum

Sublime and Atom in 2016 - (love them both, not promoting either)

Interesting we have the same specs but such a different experience. For the longest time I have roundly rejected Atom. I can do a regex search for \s , indent, highlight each individual line and then duplicate them and the lag is present but completely acceptable. Nice to hear you have the same specs as I was curious as to the boost in performance I have seen. Before the program was unusable.

IMO like most languages, javascript is as good as the person behind the keyboard using it. Prior to Ajax/Google Maps it was considered mostly a novelty. I hate to bring up the Big-O but the concepts do apply here as hardware continues to advance - or one would think. Are you i5 of i7?

0 Likes

Though I doubt it will solve your problem to a satisfactory level, Project manager does alleviate some of the annoyances. I will agree, one thing that bothers me about Atom is you open a folder and its deemed a “project folder”. This doesn’t bother me as much as it used to but the existence of a project shouldn’t be implicit upon first open IMO

0 Likes

I have the i7 processor.

I must admit, I just fired up Atom again and it’s improved. I fire it up once a quarter and it always downloads a new version, and I give it a go, and it was definitely better this time. I performed my “go to experiment” and was impressed.

Still dragging out a selection is not as nice, not even close, to the perfect crispness of Sublime.

But yes, substantially improved from all the other times I have made the exact same test.

The last time I updated was around a month ago and was probably the 10th time I had done so over the course of the last year or two.

0 Likes

I do this too, checking out Atom every few months. I love how easy it is to create plugins and tweak the UI in Atom. You always run into performance snags though. I work with pretty large files and search results, folding multiple sections, etc., it all lags. In Sublime nothing ever lags (on my machine at least). Web tech is pretty awesome in many ways, but high performance applications is not one of them.

0 Likes

I wanted to say exactly that, too, but forgot: the web technology (browsers, etc) is utterly amazing.

I am just not sure I want something I use all day, ever day, to lag when there’s an alternative that doesn’t. Sublime Text is truly sublime in that respect.

1 Like

The slowest part of Atom tends to be initial load, but that is tolerable and Time Cop helps find problem packages.

No denying though I could have opened a massive project in Sublime 3 and go to any file and syntax highlighting / linting will already be complete no matter how fast I move. I haven’t really had Atom crash on me much at all. I still think there will be improvements in speed but not to the level Sublime Text which opens around as fast as terminal.

I think my biggest desire for improvement in ST right now is the goto declaration from the CTags plugin(s) etc, at least with PHP (complying with PSR1/2) doesn’t work with variable declarations. Atom and, while not a fair comparison, PhpStorm, both do this very well. Is there a plugin to augment CTags in ST3 one would suggest to improve go to declaration functionality?

Also on the minimap is there a way to not have the syntax highlighting present? In Atom it can be turned off to be just black and white. I love Tomorrow Night Eighties but in the minimap it’s a bit much.

0 Likes

Late to the post but I have noticed with the recent release they have sped up the software. Some post I read said they are moving away from web technologies in their build. That being said the loading times with no file open shortened but with a file open the times stayed the same. There has not been a fix to the emmet expand on elements with classes aside from making custom keymappings that hijack the tab key.

0 Likes

VSCode is too slow. I have it installed on a macOS and Windows, but I mostly use Sublime.

I was told by a co-worker that Atom is also slow, so I won’t even try it.

0 Likes

AFAIK, Atom is still using web technologies everywhere, with the virtues and vices that brings along. And the Emmet key hijacking drives me bananas. I didn’t know how much some of the basic Emacs keystrokes like ^A/^E were ingrained in me until they were taken away. (Ironically, I’ve never been much of an Emacs user, but those two keys and a few others are actually built into macOS’s text fields, and so are pretty much universal across the system!)

Personally, I’ve found myself going back to Sublime Text 3 after dallying with Atom for a while. I’m more of a technical writer than a coder, and with a 1500-line Markdown file with embedded code blocks, Atom will just stop responding while I’m editing the middle of the file. For seconds. It won’t lose keystrokes, but you can tell it’s really struggling. ST3 doesn’t. (For the record, neither does BBEdit, which is actually the fastest text editor I’ve ever worked with in some respects, although I suspect that’s in part because its syntax highlighting engine is comparatively limited. Despite being the “old dog” on the Mac, there are a few cues I wish the new puppies would pick up from it, though.)

Ultimately, for me, I’m looking for some assurance that the editor I’m using is going to have indefinite ongoing development – as a former TextMate user, this is something I get a little paranoid about. :slight_smile: For a while I think we were all concerned Sublime really wasn’t showing that, but I’m less worried about that now; development seems to be happening, communication seems to be happening, and the community appears to still be active (maybe a little more so again now!). I think Atom has a bright future and a good chance of being the leading open source text editor with a few more years of baking – but for me, it’s time for me to dust off my muscle memory from Sublime and get back to it.

0 Likes

I beg to disagree.

VSCode on Windows is not slow, not at all.

CTRL+P is almost as fast as ST, opening a code source file with 12000 lines and starting editing in less than 1 s (with syntax coloring and all).
I must admit I have a middle/high-end computer (i7, 32GB, SSD).

My experience with it is simply great. A few glitches but nothing serious.
And a lot of great features not found in ST.
And each month a new build with new features.

This is the first time an editor impress me so much since ST.

0 Likes