Sublime Forum

Sublime 4 only maintains a single tab for a file and jumps between windows

In Sublime 3, I would usually group a bunch of tabs per project/window, and sometimes there would be one file opened in multiple windows that was either related or I forgot was open, which was perfectly fine since Sublime would always reload the files whenever I focused back into those tabs/instances, regardless of which I happened to navigate back to.

However, now I’ll have dozens of windows open over the course of days/weeks/months/…/millennia and I’ll go to open a file as I’m working through my current thought process, and it’ll just bring some random window to the top where I happened to already have it open, and I’ll lose my train of thought because I now have to navigate back to my window, I’ll lose where I was in the previous window (I’ll have to drag that tab out into a new window so I can return focus of that window back to the original tag), and I’ll also lose my window order (the last window is no longer the window I expect/want it to be, the last-last window is no longer the window I want it to be, etc…).

This is not ideal and I don’t see any relevant options to change this behavior.

0 Likes

You can control this behavior using the "open_files_in_new_window" setting.

0 Likes

Excellent. Yeah, I remember seeing the options before and after but not actually processing that one, with its rather large footprint. Thanks.

0 Likes

Actually, this is still undesireable. Before, if the top window of Sublime already has a tag for that file, it would just focus Sublime and switch to that tab. If it did not, then a new tab would be opened in that current window. Now, a new window is always opened with one tag. I’ll have to drag that tab into the window I was working in where I wanted access to that file.

I’m using Linux/XFCE/Manjaro.

Dustin

0 Likes