Sublime Forum

Sublime 3: How to change blinking cursor style (Win32)

I’m still considering transitioning from Notepad++ to Sublime 3. One thing I can’t figure out is how to modify the blinking cursor. With Notepad++, one of the first things i did was change the color, width, and blinkrate of the cursor. I didn’t see any settings for this in Sublime Text 3. The default cursor is a little too thin; which, I can easily lose where my cursor is.

I did browse the packages available; and, found a Sublime​Block​Cursor package; which doesn’t appear to be exactly what I was looking for, but it might be an okay alternative. I just dont know how to install it. When I select “Package Control/Install Package”, Sublime​Block​Cursor isn’t one of the listed items.

Thanks in advance,
MKANET

PS: How do I enable “email notify” on this forum? Is there a higher level of membership I need on the forum? I don’t have the ability to subscribe to topics either.

0 Likes

Hi,
i’ve got only ST2 on this machine, but i’m pretty sure it’s the same for ST3, in preference there is the property caret_style to change the blinkrate:
// Valid values are “smooth”, “phase”, “blink”, “wide” and “solid”.
“caret_style”: “smooth”,

for the size of the caret i found something here on the forum, don’t remeber exactly what key i used as search, but in short, is this property (probably undocumented):
“wide_caret”: true

afaik there is no way to set the cursor as native “block” cursor.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! The undocumented setting: “wide_caret”: true worked perfectly.

So, I’m guessing there’s no setting for changing the caret color?

1 Like

Ops, i forgot that,
caret color is set in the color scheme:

<key>caret</key>
                    <string>#ffcc00</string>

:smile:

0 Likes

Orlmente, I was able to change the caret to be more visible and a different color. Now, the caret looks exactly like I had it in Notepad++!!

Although, $70 is a lot of money to me, I’m still very happy to purchase Sublime 3 (mainly due to the friendly and helpful Forum members here who helped answer all my questions so quickly).

Thanks again!
MKANET

0 Likes

Thanks for sharing the details about cursor (caret). I would never had thought of searching for caret, but searching for “Sublime Text” and “cursor” found this page, with the answer to my question.

I like the transition of “phase” and a shorter wider cursor, which I got with this:

// Valid values: "smooth", "phase", "blink" and "solid"
  "caret_style": "phase",
  // These settings control the size of the caret
  "caret_extra_top": 2,
  "caret_extra_bottom": 2,
  "caret_extra_width": 2,
0 Likes