Sublime Forum

Sublime 2 / Monaco font & Italic

Hi there,

just installed the latest sublime2 beta and spend some hours in customizing. I’m very excited about all the possibilities sublime offers. However there’s one thing i can’t get working. I’m using the Monaco font on OSX Lion 10.7.2 and i want some parts of the code to be italic (like comments, etc.). I’ve already tried to change the settings for the theme i use (sunburst), which is already set to italic for comments.

I’m aware of that the monaco font has no italic version of itself. But coming from Textmate, the font is displayed in italic and even in bold. Regarding to some google results, there are two different options on how to render a font under osx. Unfortunately, i’m not sure if it depends on the font rendering thing and which option sublime2 uses.

It would be great if someone could help me out getting the font to work in italic or to clear things up.

kind regards
michael
http://s3.imgimg.de/uploads/sublime2c46adaaepng.png

0 Likes

I have the same problem and it forced me to move away from Monaco, my favorite font, to consolas.
really love to find a solution for this.

0 Likes

As you mention, Monaco doesn’t have inbuilt italic or bold versions. Sublime Text uses Core Text on OS X, which as far as I know doesn’t synthesize bold / italic variants, unlike the older ATSUI API.

0 Likes

i’ve read that it’s possible to synthesize an italic font with core text by slanting the regular font (and also bold) - this works but looks a little bit ropey. nevertheless, it depends on if you would accept a feature request for this :smile: maybe as an option and disabled by default, so me and all the other monaco nerds could enable italic to bring down passions :stuck_out_tongue:

alternatively i’ve found a commercial font similar to monaco.

new.myfonts.com/fonts/ef/lucida-mono/

regards
michael

0 Likes

I have created two Monaco fonts with different bold variants.

https://github.com/vjpr/monaco-bold

Enjoy!

0 Likes