Sublime Forum

Styles not working properly when uploaded to web

Hello,
I am having issues with getting my style sheets to work properly when I upload them to the web sight FTP using cyberduck. My .css and .js pages don’t seem to be working because all of the text and pictures are showing but not in the style that they should. I have uploaded it to http://outthereusa.com/ test please let me know if you have any ideas on how to fix this problem. I can see the way the style is supposed to look because it works when I open the file on my web browser.
Thank you

0 Likes

Hey, “Mike” - Love your stuff, man… :smile:
OK, so, how is it that you suspect this to be a SublimeText issue? How is ST involved in your toolchain?
What version and build are you using?
Are you using ST standalone, or is it specified as the external editor for Cyberduck, or do you have a plugin/command that calls it?

Have you dl’d the .css and .js files after FTP’ing and diffed them?

I notice there are some (usual) minor differences in presentation between FF and Chrome on your home page, but it looks ‘OK’ to me on both… (on Win 7 x64).
Could you post some screenshots somewhere showing the difference in what you see in your browser when loading from the file system and how it’s showing when it comes from Apache? (Got any funky middlewares rockin’ it there?) Also, what browser are you using?

Two things:
1.) I’m seeing a ton of 304’s in …/Home_files and …/Scripts, in FF, but not in Chrome, and I’ve got all resource modes enabled in Chrome Dev Console. But that may just be ‘normal’. I don’t use FF that much. But not seeing any 4xx’s or 5xx’s. So that’s good.
2.) And your ProductGuide pdf takes f o r e v e r to download. Jeeeez… Might wanna check into that a bit. :wink:

Aside from that, dunno much else at this point…

Dave

0 Likes

OK - I see it now. On here: outthereusa.com/test/
Yes, definitely getting 404’s on :
[20:06:48.609] GET outthereusa.com/test/myStyles.css [HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found 83ms]
and
[20:06:48.610] GET outthereusa.com/test/javascript.js [HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found 90ms]

Not there.

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply,
I am fairly new to this program and I do not understand techie language very well. Could you please explain what-- Have you dl’d the .css and .js files after FTP’ing and diffed them?-- means?
I use Safari mostly but occasionally check things in Firefox and Chrome.
I was using ST2 as a stand alone editor until I got the FTP information and uploaded it to cyberduck where ST2 is the main editor I use for editing from cyberduck.
I uploaded a screen shot of what the page should look like to the page (it is just a small section to get the idea of the style) http://outthereusa.com/test/
Pleas let me know if you have any more ideas, I am not sure the problem is in ST2, I just know I don’t know how to fix it.
Thanks for your help

0 Likes

Okay. Well. First things first, I guess…
“DL” means “download”, and “diff” means to run a system-supplied or third-party utility that reads in 2 files and compares them, line by line, and shows a report of which lines are DIFFerent between the two. But in this case, that point is moot because the files simply aren’t there to compare to.
In your test HTML, these 2 lines:

and are looking for the files in the root path, and they just aren't there. In the production HTML, the urls have initial folder names like href="Home_files/Home.css" and src="Scripts/..." which I don't see being used anywhere in the test HTML. Are you sure you don't need to specify a different sub-folder here also? Did the files inadvertently get uploaded to another sub-folder? (They're not in your /images folder, I looked. But I can't see any other sub-folders.)

So it sounds more like your Cyberduck config to specify your source and destination folders is most likely the culprit here. Does it use a separate config file that you can inspect, or do you specify them as fields in a GUI setup window or such? Do you have to run the FTP step yourself, or is it automatic on save? (In which case, are you sure it is actually running?) Does it produce any stats or logfile you could then inspect to verify the file transmission and destination folder on the server?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

0 Likes